Swelling Wont Go 1 Year After Bone Graft Upper Maxilla? (photo)

I had bone taken from my hip and placed in my upper maxilla. i am 21, i was involved in an accident where i lost 5 of my teeth and most of the bone on the right side of my upper maxilla. i looked fine after the accident except for the missing teeth. I decided to get the bone graft for the implants. the surgeon used abdominal muscle to act as the gums covering the implant. its been one year since the operation a lot of the swelling has subsided but there is still a noticeable amount on my cheek.

Swelling Following Implant Placement

This looks to be an unusual amount of swelling one year following the surgery.  Consider seeing a Periodontist or an Oral Surgeon to evaluate. They can take a 3D CT scan that will give great detail of the area and what could be occurring. They can then give recommendations based on their findings. Good luck.

Houston Dentist

6769 Lake Woodlands Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77382

Is it really swelling

Hi Sam

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you are recovering well. It is difficult to offer much of an opinion just from the photos you sent. However, usually, swelling is a short-term accumulation of fluid. If you press on the area you are concerned about and it isn't soft, spongy or painful, it probably isn't swelling. More often, it is simply a contour of the graft (hard or soft tissue) that isn't in the shape that you expect to see. I would discuss with your surgical or restorative team.

Robert Penning, DMD
Toronto Dentist

10375 Weston Road at Canada Drive
Toronto, Ontario L4H 3T4

Attend this as soon as posible, its a very delicate area, where the sinus could be involved,and this might be causing problems also on that area, and that could be why it does not heal.

German Arzate, DDS
Mexico Dentist

Malecon Americas Shopping Mall
Cancun, Quintana Roo 77500

Your swelling

The swelling should have subsided by now. Go see an oral surgeon so that he can evaluate what has been done.

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

11905 Bustleton Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19116

The swelling should have subsided by now.  Go see an oral surgeon so that he can evaluate what has been done. 

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Dentist

26 Chestnut Hill Road
Norwalk, CT 06851