Swelling Worse at Night?

I am 15 days post op (rhinoplasty/septoplasty). after getting my cast off my nose was bigger than before, but over the week it's been de-swelling. I was wondering though, the swelling appears to get worse at night and resolve during the day. Is this normal?

It is very normal to have more swelling at night. You will be able to see your final results after 6-9 months.

9025 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Rhinoplasty Recovery Takes Time

Dear Sapphire, Please give your nose some time to heal and the swelling will start dissipating over the next few months to an entire year. It is not uncommon for the tissues to swell after the splint removal. I would suggest watching your salt intake and sleep elevated with several pillows behind your back to help alleviate the swelling. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Swelling of the nose after rhinoplasty is normal. This will take many months to resolve completely. Be patient and good luck.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Swelling post rhinoplasty

Yep, that's entirely normal.  Because you lie flat at night, your body fluid redistributes.  It increases in your head and your feet shrink!  When you're upright during the day, the opposite happens - ankles and feet swell, and your head shrinks.  After rhinoplasty, because of the inflammation of normal healing, the effect is exaggerated.  

It will happen for a few months, then it will go away.  

All the best

Howard Webster, MBBS (Hons), FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

650 Bridge Road
Richmond, VIC 3121

Post rhinoplasty swelling is worse at night because your head is down.

This is very typical.  Swelling builds up when your head is not higher than your heart.  So sleep with two or three pillows.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075