How Much Swelling Will the Tip Go Down

I just got my rhinoplasty 4 days ago, and I told my doctor not to touch my tip but it's evident that he did. All my life I wanted a nose job, but now I'm starting to regret my decision to get one. Is my swelling on my tip normal? or is it ab normal? when should I expect it to get less? I hate my nose :( wah

Early swelling present in nose

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. Along with the tip, the columella and columellar-lobular relationship can take quite some time to settle into the final result. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear. Additionally, you may notice that your tip derotates and deprojects and this will lead to a change in the shape of the columella and the columellar-lobular relationship.

At 4 days following rhinoplasty, you are still extremely early in your recovery. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle.

Don't worry - this is just post-surgical swelling and will go down

+1

Don't worry, this is just post-surgical swelling and will go down.  You should feel comfortable talking to your surgeon about this as well.  If he promised he wouldn't touch the tip he probably didn't, and it is just the swelling that makes it look different right now.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Tip swelling

+1

Relax !!!   Your surgeon probably didn't touch the tip if you told him not to.  The swelling is due to the overall swelling in the ares and the way the splint concentrates the swelling for a while.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Rhinoplasty post operative swelling

+1

First, I think you should feel comfortable asking your surgeon about the tip and determine what surgery procedures were done there. He or she will appreciate your honesty. You are partners in this after all. Certainly tip swelling should be expected early on and will settle nicely over a few weeks. Be patient. Your result will take shape over time. Best Regards, Dr. Todd Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a process where the complete healing does not happen till 6 months to a year after the surgery.  Therefore, 4 days after rhinoplasty is way too soon to make an opinion about your nose and too soon to get upset.  Your tip does look to be swollen, and this is not uncommon to see immediately after the surgery, even in the cases where no tip changes were performed.  This could just be the factor of post-surgical edema; nasal cast can also diminish the venous and lymphatic drainage from the tip thus causing the swelling.  If no surgical changes were done to your tip, then it is just the matter of time until the swelling resolves.  Be patient for now, and speak to your doctor about your concerns.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD