Will the Swelling at the Tip of my Nose Go Down?

I got open rhinoplasty about 13 weeks ago (on the 25th of june 2010) and there is still some major swelling at the tip of my nose. From the side view the swelling is less visible, but from the front it looks really ugly and I really hate it especially since my old nose was really not that bad. I am including photos of my nose: the pictures above the red line are before, and the ones below are after the nose job. I really want to know whether this swelling will go down, and when...

Tip swelling

+1

At 13 weeks, most of the swelling has probably resolved and you are likely not to have a significant amount of change in the final result of your nose.  I would recommend you speak to your rhinoplasty surgeon.  He/She will be able to discuss with you any concerns you have.  If a year after your surgery, you are still unhappy, I'm sure your surgeon will be happy to revise your nose.

Dr. Cat Begovic

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com

Unhappy with the appearance after rhinoplasty.

+1

Although there is still swelling at 13 weeks, it is likely that your dorsum was over resected. If this does prove true, you will eventually need to undergo revision rhinoplasty. In the meantime you can temporarily improve your bridge of the nose with a tissue filler.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Tip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

I would wait to allow more swelling to resolve.  Taping your nose has shown you that you can manipulate the tip by pressing the swelling out of the nose.  Steroid injection is not an unreasonable at this point. 

Dr. ES

Tip Swelling 3 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

You know there is some swelling 3 months after surgery, but I doubt the tip will ever be proportional to the upper part of your nose. It is too soon, but revision surgery will probably be necessary to reduce or reposition the tip or augment the profile line.

+1

I am also somewhat concerned that you might have had over-resection of the upper part of the bridge.  However, 13 weeks is still too early to make any real judgment.  Also, it is difficult to really comment based on limited photographs.  I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon. 

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Poly-Beak Deformity From Over-resection of Upper 2/3 of Nose

+1

Hi January Firefly,

At 3 months after your rhinoplasty it appears that you tip and supra-tip dorsum are large from disproportionate removal of the upper 2/3 of your nose.  This is termed a "poly-beak" deformity, and if after 6 to 12 months you are still dissatisfied (and/or the tip swelling has not changed) then it can be corrected with revision rhinoplasty and the use of cartilage grafts.  A filler such as Radiesse may alternatively be used to augment the over-resected upper 2/3 of your nose should you wish to avoid surgery.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Your supratip swelling may benefit from a steroid injection 3 months after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I see your concern in the after photos you posted. You could ask your surgeon if he thinks a steroid injection may be helpful. I prefer Kenalog-10 for this application (triamcinolone acetonide 10mg/cc), and if this fullness is swelling, it could resolve fairly promptly.

All the best from NJ.

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty results unfold slowly.  In fact, it takes at least a year for your final result to become apparent.  The area that heals the slowest and holds on to swelling the longest is the nasal tip.  Try to be patient and voice your concerns to your Surgeon.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results Require Patience

+1

I always tell my patients that it can take at least 6 months for all the swelling to go down and the nose to regain its final shape.  For some women, it is a year.  Just be patient, and try not to focus on it.  Reassess things at the 6 month mark, and then go from there.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

May consider fillers for now

+1

Your before nose is nice. You have over resection of the dorsum . Your nose will go through more changes and I would wait at least a year before any surgical correction. I would suggest fillers for now to augment the dorsum to balance the tip.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon