Does swelling time increase w/ each rhinoplasty? I am having prolonged swelling/scar tissue formation & I worry it's the Medpor.

I had a trimmed Medpor implant put in my nose for open/revision rhino. The nose looked horrible for four weeks, finally started to reveal itself at 5, & looked great at 6, when I stupidly took a blow. 7 wks after that I rubbed it too hard & my progress was undone. (Have since stopped touching it.)It's healed since the last mess up, but at 19 wks post op, I look/feel as I did in wk 2. Sleeping is uncomfortable.I feel sore around the tip implant (surgeon saw it's intact).Is a 3rd rhino a mistake?

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling after rhinoplasty is a very common concern and question of facial plastic surgery patients. Revision procedures, open rhinopasty, and implants tend to have more swelling.

Hopefully, you have not undone your revision rhinoplasty results. However, your surgeon should be notified, if you haven't already. Infection is always a possible concern with nasal implants. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine appropriate options for you.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is very difficult to evaluate without the benefit of an exam.

Los Angeles, California

Medpor implant

+1

This does not sound good. It seems your Medpor implant and nose have a highly reactive senario going on with a persistent degree of inflammation. When an implant like Medpor is used it is very important that it sits without any pressure under the skin and that it is completely immobile. The swelling should decrease and stay away in a few weeks after the surgery and placement of the implant otherwise I would be suspicious of a problem. Once there is persistent swelling or frequently recurring swelling you must remove the implant .....there is NO other way to stabilize and salvage the situation. Failure to do so can lead to necrosis and extrusion of the implant with serious disfigurement

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon