Swelling Three Years Post Revision Rhinoplasty?

Hello Doctors, I had an open revision rhinoplasty approximately three years ago. I am very satisfied with the results; however, I am still taping my nose at night. My surgeon recommended I do this for the first 3 months or so; however, I have continued because, if I do not tape at night, my nose is extremely swollen in the morning and remains that way for most of the day. It looks so much better if I tape it. Isn't this unusual 3 years later?

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

This is highly unusual. It could be a factor related to environmental allergies, thick skin, and/or a complex initial surgery. It's a good idea to see your surgeon to double check that everything is healing properly.

Web reference: http://www.facialplastics.info/rhinoplasty-revision.html

Swelling after rhinoplasty 3 years later

+1

Swelling has resolved by this point, even after a revision rhinoplasty.  If you stuill have full contours that lack the definition you want you may be a candidate for another revision (hard to say without examination or pictures).  Consult a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with secondary and tertiary rhinoplasty, and be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge the surgeon's level of expertise.

+1

There is no swelling at this point.  If you want more definition at this point, you will need a revision to likely reduce soft tissue mass, scar, and cartilage if underdone in the previous rhinoplasty.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Swelling three years post revision rhinoplasty?

+1

In general, you should not have any residual swelling after three years. Are you doing anything else that may cause your nose to swell? And do you have thick skin? Thick skin patients may:

1) Have swelling that lasts longer (but not up to three years)
2) Not always achieve the level of definition they may want

Photos would be necessary to provide you with any advice. I would recommend visiting your surgeon and having an exam, as they may be able to provide you with some insight. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastycharlotte.com/rhinoplasty-surgery/revision-rhinoplasty/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unusual but possible

+1

thank you for your post. One of the more fascinating things about rhinoplasty is just how long it takes for things to heal. Even in primary rhinoplasty healing can certainly take longer than the year that many of us tell patients.revision rhinoplasty can take even longer. While the visible swelling is a bit unusual it is entirely possible. There is really nothing wrong with taping her nose at night. And certainly additional surgical intervention is not necessary if you're pleased with the appearance. One thing he may want to check with her surgeon is to see if injection of a steroid can help speed your healing process

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon