Is Swelling of the Areolar Common After Gynocomastia Surgery?? (photo)

I had surgery for gynocomastia one week ago..I had my staples removed yesterday on one side..the other is swollen because it had some infection in it (words of my surgeon) and I am on a medication to correct this, but I wanted to know is my areolar swollen and if so how do I help resolve the swelling. Or is it not swollend and I'm just stuck with puffy areolar glands?? Can someone please help me..also if it is just swelling is there a way I can tell by touching it?

Swelling normal after gynecomastia excision.

+1

I don't see any problems with what I see in the photographs. I personally do not like closing incisions with Staples.

Is Swelling of the Areolar Common After Gynocomastia Surgery??

+1

It is ONLY 1 week!!! Allow the area to heal over the next 3 months. You might consider massages or external ultrasound therapy. 

Areolar swelling after a subcutaneous mastectomy.

+1

If you are just one week out from your surgery then you swelling as a long way to go.   I am not familiar with the incision that your surgeon used to perform your subcutaneous mastectomy.   The most common approach is an infra-areolar semi-circular incision for the subcutaneous mastectomy combined with liposuction.  In this case your surgeon will be in the best position to answer this question. 

Areolar Swelling after Gynecomastia Reduction Surgery

+1

You have had a most unusual gynecomastia reduction technique. Despite its unconventional nature, it takes a full three months for all swelling to go away and appreciate the final result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Gynecomastia swelling

+1

Your wound looks ok at this point in your recovery. Most plastic surgeons would have only cut the bottom of your areola, not the large incision across you entire breast. You are now going to have a large scar present on your breast.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon