I Am Getting More Swelling in my Stomach and I Am on my Six Weeks After my Abdominoplasty

is this normal to have more swelling after 6 weeks the surgery.

Swelling after Tummy tuck surgery

+1

Normally, swelling can take up to one year to subside after surgery and it does increase with increased activity (usually around this time frame, patients are more active).  The only way to know "for sure" that there isn't something bad happening is to go see your surgeon for an examination.

+1

If you are truly increasing the swelling "run" back to your surgeon to be sure you are not bleeding or having a seroma. 

Swelling of the abdomen 6 weeks after tummy tuck

+1

Significant swelling of your abdomen with fluctuation can be present for several months. It does take up to a year for it to maximally subside. If you are experiencing a progressive increase in the size and prominence of your abdomen, this could represent a problem such as a seroma which is an accumulation of fluid.

You should contact your plastic surgeon who could then better assess your situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Swelling After a Tummy Tuck

+1

The surgical site can hold swelling for as long as six months after a tummy tuck  .  If you were over weight to start with, swelling takes longer than for those who are thin.  Liposuctiion can contribute to prolpongation of swelling as the body develops new channels to redirect tissue fluid.  Active exercise cause more swelling, though this is not nescessarily a reason to avoid exercise.  Your surgeon will be able to tell if the swelling is collected into a single space,as a seroma vs. swelling that is diffused throughout the tissues.A seroma can be drained if it is bothering you.  Swelling is irritating and frustrating but usually not a danger. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Swelling after a tummy tuck

+1

An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, or mini-tummy tuck are all major surgical procedures and involve six weeks of swelling and maybe even more.  It is totally normal to still be swollen. Liposuction may have been done at the same time which will increase the swelling. Check with your doctor to make sure that you do not have a fluid collection or bleeding and I tell my patients to continue wearing a girdle for another month if they are still swollen.

Leo Lapuerta JR., MD

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Swelling post tummy tuck

+1

it is probably totally normal to have swelling at this time period after surgery as you increase your activity level. but to be safe, I would return to your plastic surgeon and have them check you.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon