Swelling or Skin Wrapping Issue After 4 Months?

I had an open rhinoplasty (&septhoplasty) performed 4 months ago and am worried about the results. I feel like my nose is too thin (it used to be big, overprojected with a small hump). It now looks like my nose is elevated over the entire length (like a high, narrow rounded pyramid) in the middle. Could this also be swelling? It feels rather hard. My profile looks truly great, but the frontal view looks quite scary to me. my nostrils look weird and big and my eyes look more sunken.

Post-Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

It's possible that the nasal bones were fractured and brought together to much in the midline making the nose appear to thin...but without a photo or seeing you in person, honestly there's no way to know.  You should bring this up to the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Rhinoplasty and see what he says.

Nose too thin after rhinoplasty

+1

If your nose looks too skinny and the nostrils strange after rhinoplasty, then this will most likely get worse over the next 8 months. Unfortunately, little deformities that start to show once the nasal swelling goes down, will not disappear but rather become more prominent. Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon. I recommend to wait with any revision surgery for 9-12 months .

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty takes years to heal

+1

4 months seems like quite a bit of time after rhinoplasty, however in the cosmetic surgery world, we are all now appreciating the fact that a rhinoplasty will take a decade to heal.  I know that sounds wild, but the cartilage and soft tissue remodeling continues for years after a nasal surgery.

The area of swelling you are describing might be a "supratip" deformity.  This is a common area for swelling after rhinoplasty.  It is possible that an injection of steroids into this area might help to reduce the swelling.  Honestly, the best person to address and evaluate this is your surgeon.  You should really get in touch with him/her and return for a follow up visit with an open honest discussion about your concerns.

Wishing you the best.

Tanuj Nakra, MD, FACS
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon