Swelling on Sidewalls & Tip Already Present As Cast Was Removed After Open Septorhinoplasty - Normal? (Photos)

I had an open septorhinoplasty 13 days ago (hump reduction with osteotomy, tip narrowing/elevation/slight deprojection). When the cast was removed at 9 days, swelling was already present especially on my sidewalls & tip. Does this mean the cast didn't prevent swelling properly? It didn't worsen following cast removal & hasn't changed at all since. Does the swelling look normal? I'm particularly concerned about the lump on my left sidewall. I have thin-ish skin & didn't have much facial swelling.

Rhinoplasty Swelling!!!!

+2

General rule is open rhinoplasty will have longer post-op swelling, and the more tip work is done the more the swelling.  Even though your face may not have a lot of swelling, the nose will.  The bump on the side could be small amount of blood and you should follow with your surgeon.  As your nose softens and looks less shinny, that's a sign that your swelling is decreasing.  Splints do not significantly alter swelling.

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty is normal

+2

Having swelling in the nose is normal after rhinoplasty, especially the tip as it is the most dependent part of the nose affected by gravity. The cast does help reduce swelling to some degree, but time is the main factor. It can take up to 1-2 months for most swelling to go down and then several years for all swelling and skin contracture to settle.

Samson Lee, MD

Some swelling is normal after rhinoplasty.

+2
Two weeks after rhinoplasty is very soon after surgery and the whole nose will be somewhat swollen. The cast and dressing merely provide support and don't prevent swelling. At around the 4-6 month mark more realistic idea of result will come out. Certainly address any and all concerns with your surgeon.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

At this stage it is normal to have a lot of swelling

+2

I would urge you not to be too worried about swelling at this stage.  The cast does not provide significant compression to prevent swelling--it merely serves to provide some protection to the nose externally.  As you approach the 3-6 months mark (for thin skin patients) you will have a more accurate picture of the long term form.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling on Sidewalls & Tip Already Present As Cast Was Removed After Open Septorhinoplasty - Normal?

+1

It's not unusual to have some swelling immediately after a Rhinoplasty.  This will continue for 6-9 months to a lessening degree.  For specific results, you would need to speak with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon as he/she's the only one that knows what was done to your nose during the Rhinoplasty.  

+1

All seems with in the normal range but best to have close follow up with your surgeon. Also address the "hump" on the left side. 

Spljnt and swelling

+1

At this time you have to give it months for the swelling to settle. The splint will not impact the swelling.

13 Days after Septorhinoplasty and Contour Concerns

+1

13 days after septorhinoplasty is way too early to make any judgements about your long term results.  The temporary nature of the splint does little to help the long term swelling.  Give yourself at least a few months to assess the dorsum.  The tip may take a year or so.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA