Swelling on One Side Slightly More Post Breast Augmentation: 8 Days- Normal?

I understand swelling to be very common- I'm 8 days post op, but notice my right breast slightly swollen right near the arm pit area - is this normal? And when should it subside? At any point when I should get concerned?

Breast swelling after surgery

+1

It is not uncommon for the two breasts to be swollen after breast surgery and one maybe more swollen than the other.  GIve it time to heal since it has only been eight days.

Asymmetrical swelling

+1

It is not uncommon to have a different amount of swelling in the breasts after surgery. They also do not resove at the same pace all the time.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Arm Pit Swelling after Breast Augmentation

+1

It is not uncommon for swelling to occur in the armpit after surgery in the breasts or chest. Surgical trauma can cause an inflammatory response and swelling in the area of the surgery which then "flows" to the nearest lymph node region. Your situation is most likely normal. However, lymph nodes can also swell acutely with infections. Infections will also result in symptoms such as pain, fever and malaise. I recommend a follow up with your plastic surgeon for a proper evaluation and examination to alleviate your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Concerns about Asymmetric Swelling after Breast Surgery?

+1

As you know, some asymmetric swelling is quite commonly seen after breast surgery. Your plastic surgeon is your best resource to determine whether the swelling differences are significant enough to be concerning and/or warrant treatment. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with precise enough information or real reassurance.

Probably normal, but.....

+1

Asymmetrical swelling is common and tends to even out with time, however it is vital you allow your surgeon to evaluate it to rule out a hematoma (blood collection) or infection as soon as possible.

Once your surgeon has determined these are not occurring, you can relax and let the healing take place. Sometimes one side swells more than other or has more muscle spasm that looks like swelling. It may take up to 3 months for things to even out.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Swelling on One Side Slightly More

+1

This is a common finding. Without a photo it is not possible to make any recommendation other than to communicate with your surgeon. A decision can be made over the phone as to whether or not you need to be seen. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.