Swelling on Side of Nose Goes Down After Taping, but Reappears After a Day or Two?

9 months post-op with my first revision rhinoplasty, had 2 steroid injections to reduce swelling, but recently on the left side of the lower part of my bridge, swelling (a bulge) has developed again. Strangely when I tape it down for around 3 hours or so and remove it, the swollen part goes down and it is the shape I want it to be. But after sleeping for a night or after a day or so, the swollen 'bulge' will appear again. Is this a sign that it will eventually go down? Can anything be done now?

9 Months after Revision Rhinoplasty and Taping Causes Decrease in Size

+2

Usually, this indicates swelling which should improve with more time.  In a revision, the period of time may be 18 months or 2 years.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling following revision rhinoplasty

+1

In general, swelling can linger for a longer period of time following a revision rhinoplasty. From what you describe, it sounds like there is a good amount of swelling still present.  It can take 18-24 months to see the final result of a rhinoplasty. 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. Factors that influence swelling may include: Whether the procedure was open or closed, whether tip work was performed, whether the procedure was a revision, and whether or not the patient has thick skin. It is important to be patient throughout the healing process, as it can take some time. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon about any post-operative concerns and any specific guidelines they may ask you to follow after surgery.  I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling and nose

+1

If when you tape the area the bulge goes down, then it is ust a matter of time for this to improve. It can take many months.