Swelling and Sewn Pocket

I had my breast augumentation 4 days ago.They had to sew the pocket from previous augumentation because the implant shifted to the side some.Now with the new implants my right boob looks really bad. It is all tight on the base of the breast and then the swelling under my arm pit is really bad.My doctor said it will look normal when the swelling goes down and it did not look like that in operatiom room, so it will be normal once swelling goes down. What do you think, will it be normal looking?

A reaugmentation with capsule surgery takes time to heal.

+2

At 4 days, it is way too early to judge the results. The capsulorrhaphy (sewing the capsule) is a necessarily tight repair. During the operation, swelling has not had time to begin and the contour of the breast can be accurately molded. After the first 24 hours, the swollen breast often looks "tethered" where the capsule has been tightened. This can be distressing but will improve when the swelling goes away. The bottom line is listen to your plastic surgeon and make sure you follow the postoperative instructions.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision

+1

You do need to wait for the swelling to resolve and the healing to progress.  Follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.  If after a period of time you are not happy with the results--you may need to have a revision.  Submitting photos would help to answer the question fully.

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision - 4 Days Post-Op

+1

Dear lovebug11,

There is, of course, no way that anyone can say for sure what they will look like once everything has settled.  Your surgeon has the best shot at that since he/she knows what you looked like before and exactly what surgery was done.  But even with that there is a certain degree of uncertainty - it's an unfortunate fact with all surgical procedures and perhaps even more so with revisional procedures.  Despite every attempt to control all aspects of the surgery and the healing, there is no way to get a guarantee or to know 100% what something will look like.

The good news is that what it certainly WON'T look like is what it looks like at 4 days post-op.  This is way too early to make assumptions about what the final appearance will be.  You may be able to get a hint or a suggestion, but you're not really going to know more than that.  For better or for worse, it's great if they look perfect at 4 days, but even that is not a guarantee that they will always do so.

Your best bet right now is to stay in touch with your plastic surgeon and to see him/her regularly concerning any changes in the appearance of the breast.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Swelling after pocket modification

+1

Give this some time until the swelling goes down.  If it looked fine "on the table" and if your surgeon sat you up to look at it, it is probably okay.  Keep all of your appointments with your doctor and see how it ends up.  It is also common to overcorrect a little bit because the pocket tends to stretch out a little even when it has been sutured. 

I have made the mistake of not sitting the patient straight up  on the table after pocket modification.  What looked great in the semi-sitting position was not right in the straight up position and I had to do an early revision.  I won't make that mistake again! 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Swelling and Sewn Pocket

+1

No photo! My guess is no drain was used, so you have a real issue. Seek immediate care. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Swelling Four Days After Surgery

+1

First, you need to be evaluated by your surgeon.  Given that this was revisional surgery and your surgeon essentially performed some form of lateral capsulorraphy (to close down the empty space from your previous lateralized implants), you will likey have postoperative swelling/edema for several week.   But, pleae do see your surgeon for an evaluation.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Please ask your surgeon

+1
Looks like you had a complicated situation and your surgeon should be the one to examine you. Without picture we can not give you better answer.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Post-op revision augmentation

+1

It is also too early to worry about the final result. There probaly is a lot swelling and maybe even puckering with the repair. Give it time to heal.

Swelling after Sewing Old Breast Implant Pocket

+1

Regarding: "Swelling and Sewn Pocket
I had my breast augumentation 4 days ago.They had to sew the pocket from previous augumentation because the implant shifted to the side some.Now with the new implants my right boob looks really bad. It is all tight on the base of the breast and then the swelling under my arm pit is really bad.My doctor said it will look normal when the swelling goes down and it did not look like that in operatiom room, so it will be normal once swelling goes down. What do you think, will it be normal looking
?"

Without having been in the OR to see what was actually done, without examining you and without even seeing a photograph I find it impossible to answer your question with the depth it deserves.  Most likely you have either fluid or blood accumulation beyond the sewn areas of the old pocket. You MUST see your surgeon and may require drainage with or without an ultrasound guidance.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Post-op augmentation deformity

+1

As long as you do not have a hematoma, it is too early to judge the results. If you trust you surgeon to do the surgery, trust him to take care of you post-op unless something tells you differently. Four days is way too early to tell.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD