Does This Look Like Swelling? or is This the Result?

I had an open revision rhinoplasty 2.5 weeks ago, including cartilage grafts to bridge and tip. Also septoplasty. I understand that swelling in this situation can be severe do to all of the work and that this is my 2nd time around. I just am so worried that with all the grafts placed, this might be the size of the nose the doctor intended? I am hoping it is all swelling, but it doesn't appear to be decreasing in swelling and it is very firm/hard to touch. Any insight? Thank you.

Swelling Following Rhinoplasty

+2

2.5 weeks is still very soon after your surgery, and your swelling has reached its peak. The final result of a rhinoplasty is not evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling will be resolved after the first three months, and the remainder of the swelling will go down over time. It is important to be patient during the healing process. Any immediate post-operative concerns should be addressed with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

3 weeks post-op

+2

Three weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - a lot will change in the next few months

Sam Naficy, MD

Two and a half weeks after Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery is too soon to judge your final result.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. All of your photos demonstrate a pleasing nasal appearance except your frontal view which shows a wide appearance. In my opinion, there is too much swelling right now to judge how you'll look in a few months. I agree that it takes a year or longer for post-surgical swelling to completely resolve, but the majority of swelling should be gone in a month or two.

You could ask your surgeon if a short course of prednisone might be helpful for reducing some of your swelling. This may help you feel more comfortable with your appearance.

All the best to you during your recovery.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Thank you for the pictures, but they are not necessary  -  2.5 weeks after surgery there is always normal temporary swelling. This swelling will decrease significantly over the next 2-3 weeks, but we typically tell patients it takes about 1 year to see the final result.  it will take even longer in a patient who had revision surgery with cartilage grafts. Best of luck! 

Nose swelling after revision rhinoplasty

+1

You appear to have an expected amount of swelling after an open revision rhinoplasty. After just 2.5 weeks you're quite a ways off from your final result so the fullness and firmness are normal at this stage.

It takes many months for the swelling to fully resolve. The majority is gone by 12 months but in my experience there is additional fine tuning that occurs over the following few years as well.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Early postoperative swelling from a revision rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose has the appearance of being swollen at this point in time. It is very common to have the tip be two or three times the final size within the first 3 to 4 weeks after surgery so I would be patient at this time.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal graft looks crooked after Rhinoplasty

+1

IMHO, from the picture the dorsal graft appears crooked and off to the right.  You surely have swelling at this early post Rhinoplasty phase and it's best to have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Swelling

+1

This appears very normal for revision rhinoplasty. You are probably three times the size you are going to be. Be patient and keep the faith. Things will look better in 2 or 3 months, but you are now on an 18 month plan to see your final result.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

+1

It can take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty, especially if this is a revision and there were grafts placed.  Be patient, see your surgeon regularly, and don't expect final results for 3-6 months. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty takes months to improve

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty takes MONTHS to improve.  This can be a VERY trying time as you are excited to see the new result; however, try to be patient.  Although you will see rapid improvement over the first 3 months, the normal nose takes 12-18 months for all the swelling to resolve.  

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon