Swelling and Redness After Vein Removal with Laser on Lower Eyelid

A few days ago i removed some veins from my lower eyelid with a laser. Im still a bit swollen and theres some redness. I was wondering if it would be safe to apply some mild hydro-cortisone to the area to try to bring the swelling and redness down.

Lasers do not 'remove veins', they obliterate them

+1

Lasers obliterate veins - they don't remove veins - microphlebectomy removes veins - at any rate, see your practitioner who can direct you as to whether to use steroid cream or not. WIthout a picture in this important part of the body, we cannot recommend steroid creams - you have to make sure it is not infected before it is treated.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Hydrocortisone cream will normally work, but...

+1

Dear Casey,

some redness and swelling after a laser treatment of vein removal are common findings, but you need to be sure that you are not developing any infection (cellulitis) of the area.  Would it be possible for you to show your eyelids to your provider and ask if there is any sign of infection?  He/she should be able to tell you if it is safe to use hydrocortisone cream to the affected area. (You mentioned that you removed the veins with a laser, or did you mean to say you had someone remove the veins for you?   I hope you weren't operating a laser without training :)).

Rina Shinn, MD
Pueblo General Surgeon