No Swelling After Transaxillary Breast Augmentation?

I am currently 4 days post-op from a transaxillary breast augmentation. I had 240/270 implants placed, and I am worried that if the results shrink from what I am seeing now, they will be too small. I will be ok with the size if they remain as they are now. I have no pain and I have had a fast recovery (I have regained normal arm movement, I was feeling well enough to work remotely the next day, etc). Is it possible that I have no swelling as well?

Likely to be slightly smaller even with minimal swelling

It sounds like your surgeon did an excellent job with minimal bruising and swelling. There is always a little bit of swelling, particularly with the submuscular approach. In general this swelling should resolve within 4 -6 weeks and you should see your final size at about that time. The less swelling now, the closer you are to your final size. However, there is always some shrinkage in size, even with minimal swelling after surgery. Hang in there for now, and check in with your surgeon frequently.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

4625 Quigg Dr
Santa Rosa, CA 95409

Two to six weeks to see the final size and shape of your breasts

Transaxillary sub muscular breast implant augmentation takes a good deal longer to develop than those placed under the breast tissue. Almost certainly, you will be happier with the results a few weeks from now. If the pocket is made correctly and I would assume that is the case, the implant can actually look some what like sausage because the medial, lateral, and inferior extent of the pocket must be created and maintained to have a good final shape.

With the stretching of the skin, breast tissue and muscle the final breast shape will be much more rounded and projecting thus appearing larger that the original result. I alway have patients try on different size implants in a stretchy bra so that they may determine the size they would like to be. With this approach they almost always get the size they were hoping for. Hang on and you will almost certainly be happy.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

1040 W International Speedway Blvd
Daytona Beach, FL 32114

Swelling after surgery

It's great that you're having an easy recovery, but make sure to follow your surgeon's care instructions to maintain this, since sometimes patients try to do too much too soon. 

Swelling can hide your results. As the swelling subsides and your breasts settle, they'll take on a more natural contour (more a ski-slope shape).

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Transaxillary (armpit approach) breast implant augmetnation surgery swelling

Four days after surgery, it is quite common  to have swelling of the breasts which may persist for several months.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Breast implant swelling

You likely have swelling after surgery, and you will likely shrink down a bit after the swelling subsides.  Be patient and see how things go.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

You may have little swelling with your implants

It sounds like your swelling in on the small side, but give things time to heal and the swelling you do have time to resolve. It will be at least 6-12 weeks before you can take a look at where things will likely stand over the long term.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866

Wait 3 months beofe worrying about the size

It can be that you have very litle swelling.  It is possible that you won't change much in size either.  The best thing for all breast augmentation patients to do is wait 3 months before worrying at all about shape or size since these will evolve as you recover.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Just need more time

When the implant is placed behind the muscle the muscle itself tends to flatten the implant. The end result is an early loss of breast projection. Give it more time, breats size always causes anxiety. If you had a good pre-operative consultation with your plastic surgeon and used sound judgement in selecting the appropriate implant for your size and shape then you should get an excellent result. Good communication is the key to "getting it right" whe it comes to breast implant sizes.

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Swelling is variable

If you have no bruising, then swelling might indeed be minimal. There is always some swelling post-op but this is increased when there is bruising since the pigment products producing the discoloration are hydrophilic or water-attracting and thus cause edema or swelling. In any case, it is too early to assess the results. Compression from the tightness of the soft tissue takes time to abate and as the soft tissues relax and stretcfh out, the underlying implant can actually cause the breast to look larger sort of like new tight jeans stretching out after a number of uses. Relax, listen to your surgeon's instructions, and don't look critically at the breasts for 4-6 weeks posy-op.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212