Perlane Recovery: How Long Will Swelling Last?

How long will the swelling last and is it possible that 1cc is too much for fold area? Also, should I request them to reduce the amount of filler?

Swelling after injections

+3

Swelling can last for a few days, but if the area is overcorrected than it will last for months. Some patients need more than one cc for each smile fold, but others may need less than one for both folds. Your anatomy and volume loss are different from the next patient’s, and yours is different now than years ago and it will be different in the future than it is now. Therefore, your volume replacement quantity is not the same and will change over time.

Perlane and swelling

+2

It is not uncommon to have a week or two of swelling, and dependent upon volume loss and amount needed, 1 vial of Perlane may or may not be enough. Without seeing you in person, it is very difficult to answer your question.

Sam Naficy, MD

Perlane and swelling

+2

As for how much to inject it really depend supon what you look like.  The perlane swelling usually subsides in a few days.

Swelling after Perlane

+1

I find that swelling can last a variable amount of time. However for the average patient I treat, the most significant amount of swelling goes away within 3 to 7 days. there are some who swell very little to others who swell quite a bit. The nasolabial fold area doesn't swell as much as other areas in response to injectable fillers. Restylane or Juvederm in the lips or lower eyelids tends to show more swelling on average. I advise patients to use cold packs immediately after treatment, and in some we also use arnica montana orally to minimize swelling and bruising.

You want the result to be the best it can be. Using less filler in the end will not get you a better result. You will probably still have swelling, and when that goes away , you will be undercorrected. If you need 1, or even 2 cc to fill the deficit in this area, it does not sound like too much, unless you have minimal folds Most patients I treat need at least 1 or more cc's.

Cynthia Poulos, MD
Northborough Plastic Surgeon

Perlane, Juvederm, Fill NLF's, Face Fillers

+1

Honestly, there's almost no swelling with Perlane in the NLF's or Cheeks.  We have patients that get perlane and attend important functions, red carpet events, TV appearances that same day or evening.  Much less swelling than with Radiesse in my opinion.