Should I Still Have Swelling and Pain 3 Years After a Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck with liposuction 3 years ago this month. For the last year I have suffered pressure, pain and a burning sensation around my mid-section where the liposuction was done. I asked my plastic surgeon a year ago and he said to take Advil and come back to see him if the pain persists. I asked my GP and he said I had a weak spot in the abdominal wall that was causing the protrusion. Both said the only "fix" was surgery but that it wasn't necessary.

Pain 3 years after a tummy tuck

+1

In my experience and opinion, there are a few options which may explain your findings and complaints. One is weight gain following an abdominoplasty and tightness of the repair. Another is loosening of the repair with or without concurrent hernia formation. There may be several other causes that are less likely such as a neuroma. You may require radiologic evaluation. Surgery for a hernia depends on the extent and your surgeon is capable of performing this assessment.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.