Swelling on Outer Thighs After Extended Tummy Tuck with No Lipo?

I am 10 days post op. I had an extended tummy tuck no lipo and breast aug. I noticed that my thighs are bigger now after surgery then before and particularly my right side more then my left. It's very protruding. Is this normal??

A quick assessment by your surgeon will put your mind at ease

+1

Thank you for taking the time to ask your question.  It can be very concerning to see unepected swelling and asymmetries after surgery.  At 10 days you are still relatively early.  If the swelling is very mild and very localized, below your compression garment - it is likely nothing to be alarmed about and will settle soon.  If your surgeon allows anti-inflammatory medications such as "Advil", use it.  If the swelling is associaed with warmth, redness and tenderness it may be the sign of an early infection.  If associated with a sollen calf or thigh and tenderness in the calf then it may be asociated with a clot in one of the veins of the leg.  This is an extremely rare event but the time frame for presentation is often about 10 days after a period of immobization / bed rest / surgery.  There is no reason to be anxious.  I'm sure your surgeon gave you his / her contact information to call if you had questions.  A quick call to that number willl put your mind at ease and allow you to enjoy the rest of the day.   They will be able to listen to your information and make a decision whether you need to be assessed.  I hope this information is helpful.  Enjoy your new and improved shape.  Dr. Scott Barr

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Swollen thighs after tummy tuck

+1

Although leg swelling after tummy tuck is not uncommon and usually harmless and self-limiting, it may also by a sign of a significant complication--deep venous thrombosis, or blood clot in the  leg veins, which can break off and cause pulmonary embolism if the clot travels to the lungs. There is a simple test your surgeon can order to test for this if he or she is suspicious after seeing or at least talking with you.  Call!!