1 Month Post Osteotomy: Is This Swelling Normal?

Is there usually more swelling when bones are rasped then broken to narrow an area? I had an upper hump removed then the bones were broken to narrow that area (upper portion of my nose). Now (at 4 weeks) I appear to have a swollen, hard knot covering that area...is this normal?

It feels hard like bone which scares me, but everyone says this is just swelling even though it is hard. I know there is many more months left to heal, but is this common for an osteotomy? I am scared!

Swelling after nasal osteotomy

+1

Swelling and induration are common after nasal osteotomies and may take several months to resolve.  What may feel hard could be indurated tissue.  Discuss these concerns with your surgeon and give it more time before becoming overly concerned.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Plastic Surgery.

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible to say what this is without a photo, physical examination or knowing what you started with or exactly what was done at surgery. This could be something, anything or nothing. You need to go over your concerns with your surgeon. That is what they are paid for, not just surgery. If your concerns are not relieved ask your surgeon to refer you to a colleague who can reassure you.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD