1 Month Post Osteotomy: Is This Swelling Normal?

Is there usually more swelling when bones are rasped then broken to narrow an area? I had an upper hump removed then the bones were broken to narrow that area (upper portion of my nose). Now (at 4 weeks) I appear to have a swollen, hard knot covering that area...is this normal?

It feels hard like bone which scares me, but everyone says this is just swelling even though it is hard. I know there is many more months left to heal, but is this common for an osteotomy? I am scared!

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be, but longer with a thick skin. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendation at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS