1 Week After Tumescent Lipo and I'm the Same Size, How Long Should I Expect the Swelling to Last?

Had pure tumescent liposuction and i am now swollen, i had a pot belly and the fat was removed, on the day of the surgery i could see that the doctor had sculpted me in to shape. i had abs.On removing my garment after 24hrs, it took 20 minutes to swell straight back up to what i looked like before the procedure.what i want to know is, Have i swollen up and the swelling is taking the shape of my body when there was fat in it or has the doctor done nothing useful. Its been a week with no change.

Swelling after tumescent liposuction

+2

It's normal for you to swell exactly as you've described after having tumescent liposuction. The fat is gone and hasn't come back. The process of performing liposuction causes swelling to occur. It's similar to spraining an ankle. The first day after twisting an ankle, it doesn't look very swollen. Then the swelling sets in and it takes weeks and sometimes months for the swelling to go away again. The same thing is happening with your fat space. Think of it as having a "sprained" fat space. The swelling will go away over time. Follow your surgeon's instructions and return for your follow-up visits to check on your progress.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

+1
This sounds normal, especially so soon after your surgery. Expect for maximum swelling to occur at about 3-5 days. Most of the swelling will be gone in 2-3 weeks, but some firmness can last 6-8 weeks. The final result can usually be assessed at 3-4 months.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Swelling & Recovery Following Liposuction: What To Expect

+1

It’s not unusual to have significant swelling following tumescent liposuction.  This can occur for a variety of reasons including the administration of tumescent solution, I.V. fluids, and the bodies tendency to retain fluid whenever injured.  This fluid retention can result in significant weight gain and in some cases obscure the results of liposuction.

In the vast majority of patients swelling resolves in 3 to 4 weeks following surgery.  Although it’s unusual, in rare cases it may take as long as 3 to 4 months.  When patients have sustained swelling, they should be evaluated by their surgeon.  Their surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan to help improve their symptoms. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tumescent Liposuction

+1

It's normal for swelling to peak from one to two weeks after liposuction. I would recommend adding lymphatic drainage performed by a certified practitioner to help speed the resolution of swelling. You should start to see improvement by 2 to 3 weeks depending on how much fat was removed and your own unique healing characteristics. Best of Luck  Dr Harell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

One week after liposuction

+1

At one week after liposuction you are maximally swollen. It may take a few months before you get a feel for the final result.  Be patient.

Swelling after liposuction

+1

swelling post liposuction can last upto 1 month. and thats normal. its your body's way of healing and recovering from the surgery. also note that swelling does not subside in a uniform fashon. it might leave with you with asymmetric lumps and bumps and those are all normal. u can massage the areas if u like which sometimes helps

Misbah Khan, MD