Is This Swelling Normal After Rhino/Septoplasty 12 Days Ago?

I had rhinoplasty and septoplasty twelve days ago. Five days ago my surgeon removed the tape off my nose. He warned me that the right side would be more swollen. Before the tape was taken off I was able to breathe well through each nostril, but now the right side is very blocked. When can I expect the inside swelling to go down? I feel like it's never going to go down! Swelling seemed to Go down quickly but now slowed down so much. I hope it's not done "unswelling".

Swelling after rhinoplasty

It is not surprising that you would have a fair amount of swelling at this stage of things.  You can expect the swelling to go down over several weeks, even months.  As far as the breathing is concerned, this should also improve, but you might also have some crusts or scabs inside the nostril causing the problem.  You should have your surgeon check the inside of your nose to see in there is something that needs to be addressed.

Swelling Subsides After Rhinoplasty

Every patient heals at a certain pace and so swelling subsides accordingly.

That being said, it is common that one side of your nose swells more and/or recovers faster than another.

At 12 days post surgery, your swelling is normal and you should be a little more patient giving mother nature the chance to take its course.

If it happens that you have a thick nasal skin, swelling will take a little more time than usual to subside.

I recommend that you keep your surgeon in the loop of your recovery process while following his/her instructions religiously.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Swelling in nose after rhinoplasty

Yes, it is quite common to have swelling in the nose after rhinoplasty which can cause difficulty with breathing. This may take a few weeks to months to resolve completely.

Yes, at twelve day out from your surgery, expect swelling and healing for several months.  Contact your surgeon for healing details.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon