Is this much swelling normal one day post op from rhinoplasty, septoplasty and turbine reduction? (Photo)

I am getting a little nervous about how much bruising and swelling I am experiencing from surgery. Could you tell me if this is normal or if I should be concerned? Thanks so much!

Swelling the day after rhinoplasty surgery

+1
There can be both swelling of the nose and eyelids as well as bruising for the first few days to week following rhinoplasty surgery. This will depend on the patient and also what was done during surgery. This early postoperative swelling typically peaks a few days after surgery and sleeping with the head elevated on a few pillows or in a recliner chair helps to decrease the degree of swelling. Applying an ice pack to the area above the nose or cold packs over the eyelids can help but you should discuss this with your surgeon as postoperative instructions will vary based on the surgeon's preferences.

Significant swelling right after rhinoplasty is normal

+1

Significant swelling is to be expected after most rhinoplasty procedures. I will often take immediate postop photos while in the OR to show to patients to ease their concerns since patient's often get dismayed or even regret having the surgery early on in the process of healing.

I think that setting realistic patient expectations preoperatively is very important so I tell patients that up to the one week visit, you will hate your nose and be concerned about swelling. At 2 weeks about 75% of the swelling has dissipated, and at 4 weeks about 85% is gone. This varies based on patient's skin type, procedure done, etc...

Then it takes the rest of the year for all of the swelling to dissipate, but this is slow and gradual and is not noticed from week to week.

So what I'm trying to say is, be patient, and it will improve dramatically in short order.

Good luck,

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon