Swelling Normal After Photofacial Treatments?

Is it normal for hands to swell after Photofacial treatments? I had Photofacial done to my arms and hands yesterday and now my hands are swollen and sore and the freckles on arms have blistered.

Redness and slight swelling are normal. Blistering is not normal.

+2

An IPL photofacial or photorejuvenation treatment will result in a sunburn appearance for 1-3 days. This primarily includes redness and swelling in the treated areas. Any freckles, lentigos, or other dark spots may turn dark and are expected to crust in the week following the procedure.

Your reaction sounds normal except for the blistering. If you have blistering, realize that this is not normal and see your dermatologist or personal physician immediately. Should your blisters open and you scab, treat them with ointment three times daily and leave them alone as long as possible to prevent pigmentation problems.

Hope this helps!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Photofacial redness and swelling

+1

It is common to have redness and swelling for a few days following a photofacial treatment.  If there are any dark spots, like freckles that were treated, these are expected to turn darker (coffee ground appearance) as well.  The darker spots will flake off on there own over the course of a week or two.  Just make sure to protect the treated areas from sun exposure.   

Sam Naficy, MD