Is Swelling Normal at 10 Weeks Post-op? It Seems to Get Worst After I Stop Using my Spanx Tops.

I'm 10 weeks post-op after my tummy tuck. After my binder I've been wearing Spanx Tank Tops 24/day. I only stop putting my Spanx about 10 days ago. Since then I realized I had more swelling in my stomach. Is this normal. I had a consultation with my PS and she told me that I had no fluid and was satisfied with the result but my stomach is not flat as I expected. Is that normal ?

Tummy tuck swelling

+2

You can still have swelling without having a seroma and this can be more evident once you stop the compression garment.  The swelling continues to improve over the next few months.  You can get messages to help with the lymphatic drainage and improve the swelling and wear compression during the day when you are up and about.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Swelling takes time to resolve

+1

It can take at least 6-8 weeks for your swelling to resolve, sometimes much longer if extensive liposuction or tissue removal was performed.  Continue with your compression garments and followup with your surgeon as scheduled.  I'm sure you'll love your results once you are fully healed!

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Swelling will be present 10 weeks after in abdominoplasty.

+1

Although swelling will be subsiding it still will persist 10 weeks after the operation. Continue to use your compressive garment.

Swelling 10 Weeks After Tummy Tuck

+1

You can have swelling for a few months after surgery. I don't take after pictures until my patients are at least six months post-op. If you're surgeon didn't see any issues, then I'd relax and just keep an eye on things. It sounds like you're on track.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

+1

Without having some before and after photos, it is not really possible to comment on whether the flatness is normal or not. If the swelling started after stopping the compression, I would suggest resuming it as a trial. All the best. 

Dependent edema of the lower abdomen following an abdominoplasty is normal

+1

The swelling you are experiencing is dependent edema.   It is very normal after an abdominoplasty and will take up to 3  -  6 months to fully resolve.  There is not much that can be done to speed up the process except for massage.