Swelling 7 months post op? (photo)

Hi Guys,I was wondering if you can help, I had open Rhino/septo 7 months and 1 week ago. I am still wondering if i have swelling and will my nose change much/look better over the next few months. Ive heard that swelling can take a year or more to subside. Its quite weird as in real life it doesn't look too bad but every time i have photos taken i think there isn't much definition there and i look weird. My next surgeons appointment is around 5 months time, Im hopping things will improve by then.

Nasal swelling

+2

You will be surprised at how much the nose will change over the next several months. Swelling of the tip is commonly present at 6 months, and usually by about a year it gets even better.

7 Month Post-Op

+2

You are quite correct in that swelling can take a year or more to subside. Most of your swelling will have disappeared by the first month, however the remainder may still be visible up to a full year after your surgery. Fortunately, this swelling is generally only apparent to the patient and surgeon, but the degree of your swelling will also depend on how extensive your surgery was. If you are seriously concerned about the swelling, you may wish to contact your surgeon, rather than waiting another 5 months. I generally keep a close eye on my patients, and request that they visit the office every 3 months during the first year after surgery. Ex; I will see my patient on the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th month after their surgery to track their progress.

Robert Guida, MD

Thick skin swelling takes longer to resolve after rhinoplasty

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear.

At 7 months following rhinoplasty, you will still notice a decrease in the nasal swelling during your recovery and decrease in the size of the tip in particular

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. In patients with thick and oily skin, swelling can take longer to settle. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Swelling 7 months post op?

+1

The tip may change quite a bit. The tip may take at least a year for swelling to resolve.

Swelling 7 months post-op?

+1

There will still be residual swelling present after 7 months. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take up to 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. Swelling may be influenced by the following: Whether the procedure was a revision, whether tip work was performed, whether the procedure was open or closed, and the thickness of the patient's skin. Your nose will continue to change over time. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your procedure and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD