Swelling, Lumps, Pain After Breast Augmentation

I am one week post-op from my Breast Augmentation. I am 18 years old. I started with a 32AA, and got 250CC unders, crease incision. I have had some pain on my left said these past few days and thought it was in my stomach.

I finally realized it was actually directly underneath my left incision that is wear the pain is coming from. I touched that area and it is swollen, about half an inch thick and the length of the incision going in the same direction. It is not red, and doesn’t look infected; I have no fever or signs of infection.

However it hurts a lot when I move around and of course when I touch it. What could this be? You can’t really tell it’s inflamed by looking at it just when you touch it. But it hurts and you can definitely tell it is lumpy and puffy when you touch it.

Have your surgeon examine you

+2

It's difficult to know what is exactly happening without examining you, but it sounds unusual enough that you should see your surgeon for an incision check. There may be some fluid underneath the incision that may need to be drained; if the fluid persists and gets infected, the implant would potentially be threatened.

Firmness and lumpy bumpy appearance of breast implant augmentation surgery.

+1

This may be a deeper layer of stitches that has been overlapped in the repair resulting in a ridge of tissue.

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

Your symptoms that you describe can be an indication of an infection. I would have your surgeon check it out ASAP.  It could also be normal post-op pain, but I would check with your doctor.

It may be infection until proven otherwise

+1

At one week after surgery, unexpected pain in this region is an infection until proven otherwise. You should immediately contact your plastic surgeon for advice. Better safe than sorry.

You may have Mondor's vein

+1

Pamela,

You should return to your surgeon immediately to have an infection ruled out. The condition you describe may be something called Mondor's vein. Sometimes, this vein develops a phlebitis and becomes very painful and inflamed. It is usually treated with warm compresses and nonsteroidal antiflammatory medications, such as Advil or Motrin. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Breast Augmentation swelling may be healing ridge

+1

I agree with Dr. Kasden, this sounds like a healing ridge, since there are no signs of infection. The other possibility is that this could be bulging of the implant, if the infra-mammary fold was partially released at the incision site. I recommend that you return to your Plastic Surgeon and have him examine the swollen area.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

See your doctor

+1

Pamela6563,

From your description, you may have a deep infection or hematoma which needs to be addressed by your surgeon. Call their office today and have them see you today. Any unilateral (one side and not the other) complaints need to be investigated. While it may be nothing, it is better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

See your surgeon right away.

+1

You definitely have a problem in the left breast incision.  It could be an infection, a collection of fluid, a hematoma, or even the implant under the skin.  But it needs attention.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Most likely a healing ridge after Breast Augmentation

+1

If there are no signs of infection, it is likely a healing ridge. By this I mean that blood supply is increasing in the area, and scar tissue is being formed. This causes heaping up of tissue along the scar which becomes raised, lumpy, and bumpy. However, it should not feel different, or hurt more than the other side. Although it doesn't sound worrisome, any possibility of an infection should be reported to your doctor.

Scott E. Kasden, MD