Does Swelling Last As Long for a Tip Revision Only As It Does a Full Rhinoplasty with Osteotomies?

I had a rhinoplasty about 5 months ago and the alar base is still very wide. If the tip swelling goes down enough for everything to be in proportion, I'll have the base reduced. The tip is still about 20% wider than it would need to be for everything to be in good proportion. I understand that it will take a while for swelling to go down still, but would like to know if a tip revision would result in the same duration of swelling.

+2

A revision Tip-plasty might have the same degree, or even more swelling than the full Rhinoplasty based on just how much is done to the nasal tip. 

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

Swelling after a tip rhinoplasty

+2

Unfortunately tip swelling will be just about the same with a tip revision as it would be with a full rhinoplasty.  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Tip revision swelling

+2

Tip revision surgery will need about the same time for resolution of swelling as the original surgery.  Sometime revision swelling takes longer to resolve.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Tip revision surgery swelling will take 1 year.

+2

Tip revision surgery swelling will take 1 year. But there will be little swelling of the rest of the nose   

+1

Dear MSH,

Thank you for your question.  The short answer is its the same amount of time.  A revision surgery is harder than the original because internal scar tissue is produced after the original.  This makes the process of separating the layers much more difficult. 

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tip Revision

+1

The swelling in Tip revision is the same as Full Rhinoplasty, because we will find more tissues fibrotics, spending more time in dissection. The procedure is simpler, but swells the same. 

Dubai Plastic Surgeon