Swelling Above Lip After Juvederm in Nasolabial Fold, Is This Normal? (photo)

Hi I got 1cc of Juvederm in each nasolabial fold 5 days ago. I bruised a bit on the left side but have noticed that I have puffiness on each side above my upper lip, medial to the nasolabial folds. I've tried to feel where the juvederm is and it doesn't feel like there is any in the area of puffiness. But I'm worried that it's going to stay like this since I haven't seen any change yet. My smile looks really weird right now & I'm going back to the Dr. in 1 week for follow up but I'm worried.

Large volume of Juvederm in NL folds

+1

Juvederm is now available in 1cc syringes.  1 cc of Juvederm in each NL fold in a young person can be a substantial amount of filler and you can expect a great deal of swelling.  the non-smiling photo of you shows no fold at all which may not necessarily be the ideal aesthetic result for you. if the swelling in the lips persists, you may have to have the antidote (hyaluronidase) injected to dissolve it.

Swelling after Juvederm...

+1

This will more than likely settle.  It may take up to 2 weeks for the swelling to go down.  If, however, this bump does not subside your provider can injected Hylaronidase in the area to dissolve the product. 

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Web reference: http://marinaplasticsurgery.com/

Bumps after juvederm

+1

This is very normal.  First, I would advise tincture of time.  This will likely settle.  Another very good option is to inject hylaronidase into the area treated and you will find improvement within 30 minutes.  Either way, this is temporary and you should be reassured.

I have been injecting and training for years.  I can tell you that I frequently warn injectors about this area because I have had the same trouble with my patients.  I now avoid this.  It occurs when the filler comes much closer to the surface over the muscle sphincter called the orbicularis oris.

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating a lump from juvederm

+1

Without a physical examination it is not possible to determine if the swelling or bulge that you are feeling is actually juvederm or associated tissue edema.  If you had some significant bruising in this area it may have be either of the two.  In general, if a patient feels a lump  but does not see it then it is best to leave it alone.   If you can see the lump then some firm digital pressure on the will help to smooth it out.   In the worst case, if the juvederm has migrated to an area in which filling was not desired it can be treated with chemical to melt it away.  

Juvederm swelling

+1

One thing, I would like to point out is that Juvederm only comes in .8cc syringes, not 1cc, so you must have gotten .8cc of Juvederm into your NLF lines. That being said, swelling is normal and you shouldn't try to push or adjust or feel around too much while you have swelling. Often, swelling can be there for 7-10 days, even underneath, so don't worry too much. Give the swelling time to settle down and then evaluate everything.