Swelling in Glabella Region 13 Days Post Op, when Will This Swelling Subside?

After my rhinoplasty surgery, I was extremely bruised, my eyes were black like a panda. I was also very swollen. I am now 13days post op and still have black eyes and distinct swelling in the glabella region showing mo improvement over the last week. When will it likely to subside? When will I start to look normal again?

Prolonged swelling after rhinoplasty.

+1

From your description it is clear that you had  post operative bleeding that led to extensive bruising and the long lasting swelling. Make sure your surgeon is aware of your condition and sees you for follow up. The swelling will eventually subside. It ma take a month.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

+1

This seems to be normal for the amount of work that you had done.  It will take a few weeks to completely subside. Please continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Glabellar Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you describe is quite normal, especially if you had osteotomies that required more extensive reshaping. It might take several weeks before you start to see the swelling subside. Sometimes warm compresses can help in this process. Check with your rhinoplasty surgeon to confirm what they would like you to do.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Swelling in the glabella region is extremely common after rhinoplasty surgery.  It will take several weeks for most swelling to come down, but several months to a year for all the swelling to go away.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

With the amount of swelling and bruising you seem to have had, it's not surprising that the edema (swelling) is still persistent.

Likely, you are going to have to give a good month to six weeks before it comes down.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

It sounds like extensive elevation of the soft tissue off the nasal bones/glabella was necessary as well as osteotomies (+/- a radix graft) which would account for the bruising under the eyes. Because of the relative convexity of the glabella compared to the concavity of the nasal root (top of the nose), swelling of the glabella appears disproportionately large. Also, the lymphatic flow from the area is channeled inferiorly through the nasal soft tissue which is now compromised from surgery. This significantly delays the resolution of glabellar swelling. For these reasons I usually avoid elevation in this area unless it is absolutely necessary to achieve the desired aesthetic goals. It sounds like your surgeon felt it was necessary to work in this area to achieve the optimum results. Hang in there. I have had patients take several months to resolve swelling in this area, but, because of the results, none regret it.

John C. Ferguson, MD
Honolulu Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after 2 Weeks

+1

Bruising, if present, is usually minimal at one week and completely gone at 2 weeks.  If you are worried about this, please ask your plastic surgeon about this.  Swelling should be much better at 6 weeks to 3 months and will continue to improve for up to 1 year.