I Have Swelling in Front of Both Ears After a Minilift Almost 2 Years Ago. I Also Have Knots at the Bottom of Both Ears? (photo)

I Have Swelling in Front of Both Ears After a Minilift Almost 2 Years Ago. I Also Have Knots at the Bottom of Both Ears. The color of the skin in front of my ears is purple. Can this be fixed? I have sent a picture of each ear.

I Have Swelling in Front of Both Ears After a Minilift Almost 2 Years Ago. I Also Have Knots at the Bottom of Both Ears?

+1

Some scars can be painful, and these can be treated symptomatically or the scars can be excised and the area closed again.  However, there is the potential that hypertrophic scars can develop again.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling in Front of Ears 2 Years after Mini Facelift

+1

Two years after a mini facelift, this is not temporary swelling but excess scarred skin. There should be enough laxity to excise the scars and close the wound in a tension free manner to avoid similar scars after the revision.

Scars not swelling

+1

Swelling 2 years after a facelift is highly unlikely. Based upon the pictures you sent, what you perceive as swelling is most likely due to your prominent scars.  The thickened red widened scars along your incision lines are hypertrophic scars.  These scars can result from either an individual's tendency to form hypertrophic scars or from too much tension upon the incisions.  For thin hypertrophic scars, pulsed dye lasers can be used to reduce the redness and thickness to an acceptable level. However, when scars have spread widely, as in your case, the better option is to revise or remove the scars and close the wound again in a manner such that there is not tension along the incisions.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Unfavorable scarring after a minilift

+1

The swelling that you have in front of your ears after a minilift are hypertrophic scars. These may be the result of your innate healing process or excessive tension on the suture line during closure of the of the incisions.  If you have similar scars at other locations on your body, you may have a tendency to form such scars.  In any case, it would be worth a trial at revision by a platic surgeon who is experienced at face lifts and scar management.  As noted by another colleague, a tension free closure is paramount in achieving the best possible scar.  Even with an ideal closure, you may still end up with hypertrophic scarring and this is where scar management comes in.  Good luck! 

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

+1

From the photos, you have wide scars in front of the ears following the Face Lift.  In order to revise (remove) these, you have to have enough loose skin to close the new incision without tension.  Excess tension is one of the main causes of hypertrophic or wide scars.  An experienced Face Lift Surgeon should be able to advise you on the best course of action during an examination and consultation.  Hope this helps.  

Swelling after 2 years post facelift.

+1

Swelling after 2 years post facelift is not swelling. It is probably the result of your minilift. Furthermore you have hypertrophic facelift scars which could have been due to excessive tension. See an experienced facelift surgeon for the best evaluation and revision.

Facelift

+1

The scars of your facelift have some issues. On the left it seems you have a thick scar, Hypertrophic scar. On the righr the scar seems a little ide and both are still red.

Scar revision making sure there is no tension on the scar with or without knalog injection may improve on your scars. Later laser resurfacing of the scar will help more