Swelling for Almost 6 Months and Deviated Septum on the Outside?

I had a blow to the left side of my nose on the 12th of May this year and there was a small cut in my nose that has already healed and dissapeared but after the blow my nose was also deviated. I have been to a surgeon and have had both a regular scan and a CT scan and both times he confirmed there was no real deviation or fracture of any kind but yes, the nose is deviated somewhat on the outside. My breathing is also OK but not as good as before. Do I need surgery now or is waiting the answer?

6 months Post-Trauma to the Nose

+1

Based on your description, you probably had a small fracture to the side of your nose that sustained the traumatic injury. If your nose used to be straight and symmetric, and is now a little deviated or crooked, then you have experienced a broken nose. A nasal fracture or break will be fully healed by about 6 weeks. If the fracture was recognized with 2 weeks of the injury, it could have been repaired with a simple closed reduction procedure. At CT scan at 6 months will not show the fracture, because it is now healed. At this point in time, your nose would require re-breaking the nasal bones to get them back to their pre-trauma positions. The slight nasal obstruction that you are experiencing can occur because the depressed nasal bone without deviation of the septum can cause some obstruction.

Thank you for your question. Best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Timing of Rhinoplasty after nasal fracture

+1

The reasons for rhinoplasty surgery following trauma include and external deviation and nasal breathing difficulties.  Initially it may be difficult to identify the true cause of the symptoms because both swelling and cartilage or bony deviation can contribute to these symptoms.  Waiting 2-4 weeks is enough time for any edema to resolve and to determine if symptoms persist.  If as you mention, you still see a deviation or the breathing problems restrict your regular activities, then rhinoplasty surgery could beneficial you.  There is no additional time necessary to wait beyond the initial month following your injury, as I wouldn’t anticipate symptoms should change with additional time.

Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Deviated Septum and Broken Nose

+1
Based on your history, it sounds like there is no reason to wait and you can ahead with surgery. Typically, determining whether you have a broken nose is a clinical diagnosis. This means that the diagnosis is based on the symptoms and the findings rather than with x-rays and scans. The fact that the outside of your nose is crooked and your breathing is worse than before the injury suggests a nasal fracture. I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon who is skilled with surgery of both the inside and the outside of nose as both are inter-related. Your surgeon should be able to look inside of your nose with the proper instruments to assess if you have a deviated septum. Correcting a deviated septum is crucial to correct at the same time as the outer nose.
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum surgery, crooked nose

+1

Dear yish,

• Did you have bleeding after the blow to the nose?
  • What part of the nose is deviated, the top portion, the bottom, or the whole thing?
  • Having surgery now is fine as long as there is an indication for itf
  • If you are still having issues, you should seek out a second opinion

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani