What Does Swelling Feel Like when Touched?

I am at 4 weeks and 5 days post op. What does swelling feel like when touched? I can feel something soft and spongey on my tip & sides of my nose. It feels similar to the feeling of a water balloon when you touch it or jelly. Then in some areas it is very hard... Also, I feel loose skin around the sides of the nose? The sides feel mighty soft when I pinch it gently and it also feels like there is fluid in the skin at the sides of my nose. Hmm...Thanks!

Healing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Patient in San Francisco,

Without an examination of your nose, it is not possible to determine if your description is within the normal limits of the course of healing after rhinoplasty.  While one month after rhinoplasty it is normal to expect some degree of swelling, there should never be a collection of fluid.  If there is, it should be drained. 

It would be prudent to see your surgeon.  He or she would know exactly what was done (eg. any grafts placed), and would be able to determine if all is ok.  Good communication before and after surgery is important to for the healing process. 

I hope this is helpful for you,

Ali Sepehr, MD Facial Plastic Surgeon, Irvine, Orange County, California

Irvine Facial Plastic Surgeon

Feel of Post-op Swelling

+1

Without seeing or feeling your nose, all answers are speculative. It is possible that swelling is causing what you describe; however, I recommend you see your surgeon for evaluation to rule out more serious problems.

My nose feels funny after surgery--is this normal?

+1

Yes, you have swelling, but you also have (partial) numbness, which makes everything "feel" different. We would all describe these sensations with our own choice of words, but I suspect that your descriptions may not reflect what is really going on with your nose. If indeed there is blood or fluid, this is something your surgeon needs to know about and address, now.

Rest assured, if your surgeon tells you all is well, these sensations will go away and normal nasal skin sensation will return over time (months)! But, for now, see your surgeon and describe your concerns.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

What Does Swelling of the Nose One Month After Rhinoplasty Feel Like? Not a Water Baloon!

+1

Hi Hate your nose,

You should visit your rhinoplasty surgeon asap.  It is not normal for any part of the post rhinoplasty nosel to have the feeling of a "water baloon".  You should be examined and evaluated to make sure that everything is okay.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Swelling and loose skin after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Rhinoplasty patient from San Francisco, CA,
It is difficult to render a professional opinion without examining your nose. Based on your descriptions, there remains some degree of swelling after your rhinoplasty surgery. This may take another month to improve. Your rhinoplasty surgeon could easily assess your nose and inform you regarding your treatment. Good luck and good healing

Web reference: http://www.orangecountynosejob.com

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear SF,  It is not possible to tell you if your rhinoplasty is healing normally without examining your nose.

Since you are only one month after your surgery, Please call your surgeon and describe the sensation of the "fluid" feeling.  

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon