Swelling in Eyelid After Browlift?

I'm a little concerned. I had an endoscopic brow lift done about 2 months ago. I don't notice any difference nor does anyone else. The reason I had it done was to lift my heavy eyelids. Is it possible that it's just still swollen in the eyelid area? Is it possible for a brow lift to FALL? I'm just confused and hate to think I wasted all that money for little to no difference!

Swelling in upper eyelid area after browlift surgery

+3

The usual causes for droopy appearing upper eyelids after browlift surgery are that the eyelids were drooping in the first place and were not fixed. 

It is also possible that heaviness in the lower brow and eyelid area is due to postoperative swelling.

Last, it is possible that the endoscopic browlift did not "hold".

Or a combination of all three.

Endoscopic brlwolift surgery is not done as frequently because of its tendency to leave bald spots where the cannulas are inserted, its tendency to raise the hairline, its recurrence rate and the possibility of injuring the frontal branch of the facial nerve.

Referenced below is a book chapter we recently wrote on browlifts.

Endoscopic browlift and eyelid swelling or falling after surgery

+2

Although an endoscopic brow lift is an appropriate treatment for brow ptosis ( sagging eyebrows), it won't improve excess skin or puffiness of the upper eyelids.  Therefore you may also need to consider an upper eyelid blepharoplasty to achieve the results you were hoping for.  Endoscopic brow lifts can have a higher relapse rate of falling than a coronal or trichopytic brow lift  - in these procedures a strip of scalp or forehead skin is resected.  Check with your surgeon to see if he/she feels you still have some residual swelling or are a candidate for one of these other treatments. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Swelling may be the reason for heavy lids

+2

I always caution my patients that there is going to be some swelling in the eyelids after surgery, but this swelling usually resolves in about 6-8 weeks.  It is, however possible for an endoscopic brow lift surgery to fail or show no improvement- but this is very rare. Furthermore, if you had very heavy eyelids to begin with, it could be that you were a candidate for a brow lift combined with an upper eyelid surgery.  You should discuss an upper eyelid procedure with your surgeon - you may find that once your swelling has resolved that an upper Blepharoplasty is the best answer for you.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Failed endoscopic browlift.

+2

I really don't like to hear that a procedure did not give the result promised.  My experience has been that many endolifts have failed.  It seems that most patients need some scalp skin removed for an effective permanent lift.  At times, eyelid skin also needs removal.    Often, a secondary temple tuck will reposition the lateral brow nicely, if the central forehead and muscles were adequately dealt with at the time of the endoscopic procedure. 

H. Michael Roark, MD

A Skeptic of Endoscopic Browlift

+2

I'm sorry to hear that you don't see a result after Endoscopic Browlift.  At 2 months post op the brow elevation is what it will be as is the swelling associated with the procedure.  I have performed Brow Lifts for over 20 years and I remain a skeptic on the Endoscopic Brow Lift (Endo Brow) for the following anatomical and surgical reasons:

1. The Endo Brow does not trim exces scalp but rather relies on sutures, hooks or similar devices to hold the eyebrows up.  These devices can work through the soft tissues of the forehead causing the eybrows to fall back down to their pre-op poistion.
  2. When the eyebrows fall, it may not be symmetric, making one eyebrow up and the other down.
  3. Because of the incision placement, converting a failed Endo Brow Lift into the "gold standard" Coronal Brow Lift is problematic and can lead to increased risk of hair loss where the incision cross each other.

I prefer to do the Coronal Brow Lift in all but the most minimally low eyebrow cases where I use a Temporal Lift instead.  In your particular case, you should go back to the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Endo Brow and see if he/she agrees with your assessment and has suggestions or recommendations.  If you are still not satisfied, you may need to get another opinion from a surgeon with a good reputaion for performing Brow Lifts.

Endoscopic brow lift falling down after surgery.

+2

Endoscopic forehead lifts do not raise the brow as well as open techniques and the relapse rate is often high. About 35 years ago  we devised the Irregular Trichophytic forehead lift which can raise the brow and also lower the hairline if the patient needs it. It permanently raises the brow. The scar is very fine with hair growing thru the scar and in front of it if properly done.

Browlift

+2

Endoscopic browlift operation can have a relapse rate and also not show an improvment in some cases.

There is going to be some swelling in the eyelids after surgery, but usually resolves in about 6 weeks.

If you have heavy eyelids, you may also need to be evaluated for removal of some eyelid skin.

Your physician should be able to go over this with you. i am sure you have follow up appointments scheduled.

Good luck

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Appearance after Brow Lift

+1

A brow lift is a good option to improve the appearance of the eyebrow, forehead, and upper eyelid areas. All brow lifts will drop down a bit after the original procedure, which is expected. All brow lift procedures will also cause some swelling or bruising in the upper eyelids. Lastly, a brow lift may not completely improve the upper eyelids alone and commonly eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is also required to remove excess eyelid skin or fat. You may have one or multiple issues affecting the appearance. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon