Swelling Under Eye from Hyaluronic Acid, Normal or Concerning? (photo)

I received 1ml of hyaluronic acid injections 3 days ago under my eyes for my tear troughs and wrinkles. My left eye didn't really swell and has no more swelling but my right eye is still pretty swollen/puffy. She injected a little more on my right eye as it needed more - so is that eye just more irritated therefore going to stay swollen longer? Just want to know if this swelling looks concerning??

Eyelid Swelling after Hyaluronic Acid Treatment

+2

It is certainly common to have some swelling after a hyaluronic acid treatment under the eyes.  It is certainly not a dangerous situation.  However, here are some facts that you should know.     1.  If your eyelids tend to swell a lot in the mornings in general, you are more likely to get swelling from lower lid Hyaluronic Acid Fillers.   2.  The most common cause of lower lid swelling is allergies.  Do your eyes tend to itch (before the fillers).  If so you might do better if the allergies are controlled with a good OTC allergy drop.  3. Not all hyaluronic acid fillers are the same.  I think that Juvederm and Restylane are the best fillers for most situations.  However, Juvederm is more likely to swell under the eyes. 4.  I would wait 2 weeks.  If the swelling does not go away, you may want to have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase with is a safe and easy treatment.   

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear trough swelling

+1

With any tear trough injection or injection in general, it is common to swell and possibly bruise. Asymmetrical swelling is common, too. I would wait two weeks to reevaluate. If the swelling is severe, painful, or spreads, then I would advise returning to the physician much sooner. Best of luck!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Swelling Under Eye from Hyaluronic Acid, Normal or Concerning?

+1

I would wait at least 2 weeks after filler injection before considering reinjection or dissolution with hyaluronidase. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling Under Eye from Hyaluronic Acid, Normal or Concerning

+1

Best to wait it out at this point. At only 3 days out, your swelling looks normal. It's hard to assess at this point what is swelling and what is possibly overfilled. Fillers attract water right away, so that takes at least several days to settle down. 10-14 days after you've had the fillers you can return to your injector for an evaluation. If you need some removed at that point, then you can do so with hyaluronidase. But wait it out for now.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

+1

Only a few days post injection. Best to allow 10 more healing days. Use ice for first 4 days than warm compresses for next 4 days. This should resolve over the 10 day time frame. 

Eyelid swelling after filler

+1

It is quite early to become overly concerned but certainly it is reasonable to ask the question. Swelling in the eye region peaks at about 4 days, so 'wait and see' is the best advice. You have to remember that these fillers work by " attracting" water to create fullness, so early asymmetrical swelling is possible . The most reassuring advice is that enzymes can always be used to remove the material IF it is persistent with local asymmetrical swelling . No worries 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Juvederm injections and swelling

+1

It may be too early to be really concerned at this may just be soft tissue swelling.  If this persists after another 7 days then it may needed to be treated with Wydase.