Will All Septo-Rhinoplasty Swelling Eventually Go Away?

I had a septo-rhinoplasty 6 months ago. I am happy with the results, as I can breath so much better than before, and the bump on my nose is gone. My doctor did an open procedure, and so my nose swelled quite a bit. My nose is nice and straight now, but it looks crooked due to swelling, and on top of the bridge, there is a slight hump that is soft, and when i press down goes away temporarily. Will all the swelling eventually go away completely? I continue to see it change each week.

Nose surgery swelling time line.

+1

We tell patients:  One Year.  That doesn't mean all the swelling is gone in a year, it means that enough of the swelling is gone that the nose can be judged and revisional procedures can be contemplated.  For every tiny bit of swelling to be gone?  Probably 1-2 years.

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

Yes, the swelling should go away...to speed up the healing process, steroid injections can be done to bring down the swelling a little more quickly.  The fact that you are able to push out the swelling and that your nose continues to change are all good signs that it should heal fine.  Although most patients take 6 months to full heal, some may take a little longer depending on how much of your nose was taken down and how thick the skin is...among other factors.

Im glad you're happy with your surgery,

NIma Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD