Swelling Even After 12 Months - Is This my Final Result As It's Now Been 12 Months?

I had revision rhinoplasty in November 2012. Prior to this I had had a rhinoplasty in 1997. It's now been 12 months since my surgery and my nose still looks very big. While my nose still looks large overall, if the tip were a little finer it would give an overall impression of the nose being smaller. I'm really not happy with the result. I am being very open, flexible and realistic about results but even so my nose does not look good. In many ways I believe my nose actually looks bigger.

Swelling After a Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Conventional teaching is that it takes a year for the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty.  I feel that is true.  Some factors can prolong the swelling, one of those factors is that you had a revision.  However, after a year, I think you are very close to or at your final result.

Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Final result of revision rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your result following surgery. The final result of a rhinoplasty may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70% of the swelling goes down after the first 3 months, and the remainder will go down over time. Did you have tip work with your revision? Swelling can be influenced by thickness of the patient's skin, whether tip work was performed, and whether or not the surgery was a revision. From here, it is best to be patient and see how you continue to heal. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your healing.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling 12 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Although we usually say that 12 months is necessary to evaluate a rhinoplasty result, it can take longer after revision surgery. An examination by a rhinoplasty specialist will help you determine where you're at in the healing process.

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes swelling persists for more than twelve months, but it is possible that revison of the tip could be done at this point. Best to go for a consultation.

Length of time to final result after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Sometimes with revision surgery it may take a full 2 years before you see the final result of the surgery, especially with regards to the tip.  Depending on several factors, including the thickness of your skin, grafts used during surgery, and your individual healing, it is possible that you have not reached your final result after 12 months.  

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  He/she will be best positioned to give you an accurate idea of what to expect in the next 12 months as you continue to heal. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD