Will Swelling Go Down a Lot Between 2-4 Months Post Rhinoplasty?

Hi! I had my closed septoplasty/rhinoplasty procedure May 1st and the 2 month mark is coming up soon. However, I still not quite happy with the width of the mid portion of my nose (its wider than before), I'm just really hoping its due to swelling since I do have oily skin (not sure if that affects swelling or not). Do you think its reasonable for me to expect for a huge amount of swelling to go down between 2-4 moths post op? Or am I stuck with this appearance as my final result? Thank you

Nasal Swelling Months After Rhinoplasty is Normal

+2

No worries at 2 or even 4 months post-op.  What we see as plastic surgeons is that swelling increases and decreased over the first year or so.  You may able to feel the swelling as a "spongy" feel to the area.  In general, nasal swelling resolves from top to bottom, so that the tip is the last area to remain swollen.  You will see improvement over at least 12 months;  most of the improvement is in the first 6-9 months.  So, not to worry, and check with your surgeon!  Best of luck.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty...

+2

While a lot of the swelling after rhinoplasty subsides in the first two weeks, the swelling will continue to subside gradually over the next year.  The skin acts like a shink wrap that gradually tightens over the revised cartilage structure underneath. This occurs over the course of a year.  Simply take a picture now and take the same picture again in one year and you will notice a definite difference.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  In some cases a steroid injection is needed to help with supratip swelling.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after a rhinoplasty

+2

You are still very early in the post operative period and will need more time before you can judge the result of your rhinoplasty.  Give it another 6 months and you will see some significant changes.

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

While the swelling improves rapidly over the 1st month, about 20% of the swelling persists, and takes up to 12 months to resolve. The improvement is most rapid at the beginning, so you should see a lot of resolution between 2 and 4 months.

Cory Goldberg, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

JD, your swelling will continue to improve with time.  It may take a year for you see your final results.  You should be sure to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Anthony E. Brissett, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

RhinoplAsty swelling.

+2

This will go down relatively quickly but takes 1 year for the tip swelling to be finalized. 

+2

The swelling will decrease significantly from 2 months to a year or more.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

About swelling

+2

You have to wait, it´s too soon to expect a final result, your nose will improve in the next months, I think that you´ll notice a change in swelling in the first six months, so, don´t get desperate, just follow your doctor´s indications and good luck with your recovery!!

Edgar Santos, MD
Mexico Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Your nose will still change a lot over the next six months or so. It is common for the middle third and tip to appear quite a bit wider at this point compared to where it will eventually settle once your nose has completely healed after your rhinoplasty. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon