Can Swelling of the Columella and Tip Cause a Tip to Look More Upturned?

I'm 10 days post opp from a open rhynoplasty .. and it was a revision.... it does not look upturned from the side at all.. just straight.. I just have more nostril show in the front than I am comfortable with... thought maybe it might have something to do with the colluma and the incision. Hope?

Nose looks upturned after Rhinoplasty

+2

10 days after a Rhinoplasty is way to soon to judge the results, especially something like the tip size or rotation.  Give yourslef a month or two to see if things look better and by all means discuss this with your Rhinoplasty surgeon as only he/she knows what was done to your nose during the Rhinoplasty.

Columellar swelling can cause tip rotation

+2

Yes, the initial swelling of the columella and base of nose can temporarily push up the tip. This should settle down in the first few weeks after surgery, if it does occur.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Up-Turned Nose after revision rhinoplasty

+2

At 10 days after a revision rhinoplasty it is usually too early to tell what the nose will look like after all the swelling has gone down.  You need to be patient because as most noses heal, the tip tends to come down a little depending on the techniques utilized. Just ask your surgeon if he rotated your nose; he would know best what will happen based upon what he did. In most cases the  majority of swelling after rhinoplasty goes down in the first three months, but it can take one to two years to see the final result

Russell W. H. Kridel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after redo

+2

This is very common at 10 days. I also advise patients who are having redo rhinoplasty through an open approach to expect prolonged tip edema, especially if they have thick skin to start with. I believe that in these type of situations that even though you will see changes and results, you can't judge the final result until 18-24 months. Be patient.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

It is very common for the nose to look more upturned (rotated) than it really is. This is particularly true during the first two weeks following surgery because of the degree of swelling in  the skin of the nose. Also, some patients expereince swelling of the upper lip in the area immediately below the columella (column of tissue between the nostrils).  When this area swells, it can distort the angle of rotation  and make it appear that it is tilted up more.

Be patient, this should improve with additional time. Discuss your concerns with your physician.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

It is very common for the tip to be slightly rotated and to have more nostril show after surgery, due to the swelling. As the swelling decreases the nostril show and the rotation should improve.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and upturned nasal tip after rhinoplasty

+2

Dear gotogove,

absolutely, especially after an opern rhinoplasty the columella and the tip appear to be turned up due to the swelling. give it some time, and you will see that it will get better.

good luck

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

10 days post-op

+1

Three weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - especially in the tip/nostril region

Sam Naficy, MD