Recovery Time from Swelling and Bruising from Juvederm or Restylane?

I'm looking to do either Juvederm or Restylane injections for my under-eye bags to smooth out the hollows and puffiness.

How long should I "hibernate" due to swelling and bruising? Is it a couple days or a week that you look beat up? Also, does Botox work for crow's feet or is it too risky of freezing your smile lines?

Bruisestick ointment contains arnica and bromelain

+1

If you are concerned about bruising after injections, our office prescribes Bruisestick ointment, used twice daily to the area. Bruisestick contains both Arnica and Bromelain. 

Fillers for eye hollows

+1

Lower eyelid hollowing can be treated successfully with fillers such as juvederm or restylane.  In terms of down time, you may see a little bruising that should go away within a few days. It certainly can be covered up with makeup.  As for crow's feet, Botox is great.

Restylane is best for under eyes.

+1

Hi!

Injecting fillers into the under eye hollows has to be done just right. In Manhattan, we use Restylane in this area, because it is the most forgiving filler, and it lasts up to a year.

Most people look fine after a couple of days, but bruising can occasionally last for a week.

Botox is great for crows feet, and if done well your smile will not be "frozen" at all.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

You shouldn't have much swelling or bruising if it is done correctly and you aren't on aspirin, etc

+1

If you go to someone who is good at this, you probably won't have much swelling or bruising, but anything can happen, even with good surgeons. In our office, the instance of bruising is probably about 10% and it can easily be covered.

If it does happen, you will have it for about 2 weeks, so it's important to be able to cover it up appropriately. We have a product line, Colorescience, that does a fantastic job of covering it up (www.LovelySkin.com/colorescience).

As for the botox, yes, it works great for the crows feet, so you should love it! Restylane is my preferred treatment for under the eyes, but Juvederm is fine as well.

As for anesthesia, you should have some topical anesthesia before the treatment. If your surgeon is doing it right, you shouldn't need any more than that as most do blocks or add anesthetic to the product they are injecting (as we do). Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Facial Filler Recovery Time

+1

Hi Miss,

I recommend using only Restylane to treat lower eye lid hollows. Botox is great for treating your crow's feet.

You should stop taking any medications, vitamins, or supplements for about 7 to 10 days prior to your injection treatments to minimize bruising. I suggest that patients give themselves two weeks before a big event to make sure that they are flawless in the event that they have bruising after their injections.

Most patients do not have much bruising at all and are able to avoid "hybernation". Commonly patients are fine within a day or two. In the event of bruising, depending on the extent, the discoloration may last up to two weeks.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox for Crow's feet, Restylane for the tear troughs

+1

Borox is wonderful to soften the crow's feet, and if done properly, will leave you a very natural result. I prefer Restylane for the tear troughs, and this area tends to have a higher risk of bruising or swelling compared to other areas of the face, so I recommend a few days off just to be safe (there are some folks who have little or no bruising, but we always want to plan ahead in case you need a bit more time).

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Botox is great for crow's feet

+1

First of all, Botox is great for crow's feet around the eyes. It opens up the lateral eye area and smooths out the wrinkles. Dermal filler injections around the eyes are tricky and should only be done by an experienced injector. Whether you have Juvederm or Restylane does not really matter.

David Shafer, MD

Fillers in Infraorbital Area

+1

This is an area where I think caution is needed. I have all but abandoned use of fillers in this area because of a tendency in some for prolonged swelling. Certainly you need to allow anywhere from one to two weeks for bruising although there are patients who will not need this long. It is the prolonged edema that has many of us backing off a bit from injecting in this area as a form of primary treatment.

On the other hand Botox and/or Dysport for the lateral canthal lines works well.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising from Juvederm or Restylane

+1

None to mild.

If you follow certain precautions and your surgeon is meticulous you should have no bruising at all or very mild bruising. I cannot help you finding the right doctor but below are the instructions I give to my patients before injections. This seems to help.

Disclaimer: These instructions are not intended to be medical advice. Please check with your physician before following these instructions.

Instructions for Patients Undergoing:
Botox / Radiesse / Restylane / Juvederm / Sculptra

? Take Xanax 0.25mg 1 hour before procedure. We will call it in to your pharmacy. If you have never taken Xanax in the past, try one pill on a weekend to see how you react to it. Please do not drive if it makes you sleepy. Have someone drive you or reschedule your appointment.

? Apply Emla cream 1 hour prior to procedure. Put a very thick layer on and cover with saran wrap. This cream is available by prescription only. We will gladly call it in to your pharmacy.

? Avoid taking any Aspirin / Motrin or similar pain pills. Tylenol is safe to take. Stop all herbal medicine and supplements especially Vitamin-E, Fish oils, Omega 3, Coenzyme Q-10 Flaxseed for 2 weeks before getting these injections.
You can take your multivitamin, calcium and vitamin D.

? You can use Arnica pills before and after the procedure & Arnica cream after the procedure to reduce bruising. Both are available from our office. You can also find them in specialty vitamin stores. Bromelain is helpful in reducing any swelling after the procedure.

? Apply ice after the procedure for a few hours if possible.

? Avoid sun exposure, exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after the procedure.

? Do not get these procedures done a few days before an important function such as a wedding etc.

? If you develop a cold sore around your lips, please call our office.

? If you develop a bruise, you can camouflage it using Dermablend cover up. It is available from Macys.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us by phone, email or through our website.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon