Swelling or Bone Misalignment After Nose Surgery?

I had a Rhinoplasty with Tiplasty, Septoplasty, Turbinate reduction on March 25. I had a large dorsal hump which I hated. When the cast came off, my hump was perfectly flat and looked perfect. Since then (cast came off two weeks ago), the hump seems to be getting larger. Is this swelling or are the bones out of alignment? My 2-year-old knocked me in the nose once on April 8th and it hurt but not extremely painful. Could this have caused it? Should I tape the hump? I'll see my doctor in a week, but I'd like to know if anything can help now. Thank you.

Bump is expected to be more swollen the first month

+2

It is important to make sure that your nose does not look crooked after you got hit in the nose two weeks after your surgery. Taping the nose will not hurt it or help it. The bump on the nose will be more swollen the first month, and it does take some time to settle down and go away. Be patient with the swelling as it subsides over the next year.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Nose got knocked 2 weeks after Rhinoplasty and hump is back.

+1

I think that you should be honest with your Rhinoplasty surgeon and tell him about getting your nose knocked 1 week after having the cast removed and 2 weeks after your Rhinoplasty where it sounds like (since a large dorsal hump was removed) that your nosal bones were broken.  When the nasal bones are broken, they are very susceptible to moving with any significant impact.  This may have shifted the nasal bones.  If so, taping will most likely not move the nasal bones back.  You mighty want to call the office and tell them before a month visit.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

The nose heals in stages after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon for the profile appearance to change dramatically during the first few weeks following reduction Rhinoplasty. Significant swelling is present in the skin and muscle overlying the bony and cartilaginous skeleton of the nose. Bone also heals through a process which involves a thickening or swelling, which then remodels over the next few months. Although early trauma after surgery can be a concern and should be discussed with your plastic surgeon, the other changes you describe are quite typical.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best to check with your rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Early trauma is always a danger after rhinoplasty. Trauma can disrupt the healing tissues. The fine difference between swelling and tissue disruption from trauma is best analyzed by your doctor. Try to see him or her this week for a check-up.

Good luck!

Marin Plastic Surgeon