Swelling or bone? (photo)

Before my surgery, my nose had a bump on one side of my nose while the other side of my nose was more normal. During my rhinoplasty, my surgeon was to get rid of that bump. I am now 16 days post op and the bump is still there, however it doesn't feel like swelling, it feels exactly like bone. Could this be swelling? I understand that this side of my nose is more swollen than the other side because that's where the most work was done, but did he just not shave the bone or could this be swelling?

Swelling or bone

+2

Even though still very early in the healing process it does appear as you had a very very conservative rhinoplasty..

Swelling or bone

+1
The skin is thinnest over the rhinion (the junction of the bony and cartilaginous bridge); therefore, even a small amount of swelling here can make a difference when compared to the final result.  So, it certainly could be swelling.  It's best to have your surgeon examine you to determine the issue and re-assure you.  Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Post op nasal swelling

+1
You still have swelling at 16 days postop.  Go back to see your plastic surgeon who may recommend massage to help with the swelling.

Paul M. Parker, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Nasal hump after surgery

+1
It is possible to get a cartilage or bone to move during early healing phase of rhinoplasty. This can lead to a new hump albeit, smaller in size and in different location. In most cases it can be easily shaven off in the office under local anesthesia.

However it is prudent to give it at least 3 months before doing any interventions as swelling can mask a lot of changes. You need to see the result without the swelling.
Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or bone after rhinoplasty

+1
Though your nose might be tender, swelling is often soft and can be massaged down a bit during the healing process unlike bone. It is best to have your surgeon take a look to reassure, swelling can take some time.

Swelling or bone?

+1
It is too early to make a determination about the final result.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Swelling or Bone?

+1
Consult your surgeon who performed the operation, knows what was done, and knows your anatomy. In general, hard bumps in that area are related to the nasal bone. It doesn't matter whether you feel the bump, it matters if you see the bump. Swelling will accentuate the bump. Give it time.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon