Swelling or Bad Nose Job?

i had rhinoplasty surgery 3 weeks back. i dont know how much swelling is still there but now my nose look deviated. due to this one nostril look bigger than the other.My doctor said that it is just because of the swelling but it doesn't seem so because the structure is not symmetric. i am so worried about my nose and overall look. do I need to undergo the surgery again? i can send you pictures . please help. I am so tensed.

Patience is required

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are a concerned with what you feel to be an unsuccessful rhinoplasty. 
Nonetheless, at 3 weeks post surgery swelling is not uncommon and every patient is a little different than the other hence the inability to provide a razor sharp timing on when to anticipate to be edema-free.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted one cannot provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides extensively before you can make a sound judgement. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS.

Nostril shape can be impacted by swelling

Thank you for the question.  Swelling can impact nostril shape and at 3 weeks some swelling will still be present.  Are these your before and after photos or just different views of the same result?  I would wait longer at this time since its early.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Swelling 3 weeks after rhinoplasty is normal

If you are only 3 weeks out from your rhinoplasty procedure, swelling is the norm. Although a large part of the soft tissue swelling will have subsided 3 weeks after surgery, you will continue to have some swelling of the tissues for about one year. Be patient. If you still feel the same way in 6 months, then send me your photos for evaluation: kb@drkevinbrenner.com or upload them through my website contact page.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Assymetry after rhinoplasty

Dear  Nisha,

3 weeks post-op is very early in the process to be so tense. Please have patience as swelling after rhinoplasty takes a very long time to resolve. Try not to obsess over it. Go on about your daily life and you will see that time will pass faster and before you know it- your nose is beautiful!

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or a bad nose job

Honestly, if these are your before and after photos after your Rhinoplasty, I'm not sure why you are unhappy since the nasal tip appears thinner and more refined.  The nostrils appear to be the same shape that they were before the Rhinoplasty and unless you would have had an open Rhinoplasty, these would not change.  At 3 weeks after a Rhinoplasty, it's sad that you are already questioning the quality of the Rhinoplasty doen by your Rhinoplasty surgeon.  Please have this discussion with your surgeon.  IMHO, this forum should not be used to pit one surgeon against another during early postop stages.