Gynecomastia Surgery - Is This Swelling or Just a Bad Lipo?

I had lipo and gynecomastia surgery 7 weeks ago and I looked great after two weeks. Since then I have ballooned back to my preop size. I saw my doctor again at the instruction of doctors on this site, he said it was edema and to be patient. Below is the picture of how I look now, does this look like someone who had liposuction gynecomastia, liposuction abdomen, and liposuction love handles? I just dont knowif he is BSing me. Thanks for any help

Time will tell

+2

Wear your garment  and wait.  It takes up to 6 months to see your final liposuction/gynecomastia result.  

Dr. ES

Swelling May Take Up to 6 Months to Resolve; If the Problem Persists See Your Surgeon

+1
It's not unusual for patients to experience swelling following surgery for gynecomastia. The majority of swelling resolves in four to six weeks, but may persist for up to six months.

It's encouraging that you were initially happy with the results of your surgery. This suggests that your areas of concern are probably related to swelling and should improve with time.

The use of compression garments and massage can help to minimize swelling and shorten the recovery period following surgery. It's important to start compression immediately after surgery before the swelling gets started. Once swelling occurs compression may not be as effective.

If this problem persists beyond six months it may be more than residual swelling. Under these circumstances, unresected glandular breast tissue may be a problem. This may ultimately require revisional surgery. It's important that you discuss these tissues with your surgeon. He will be able to make an appropriate recommendation. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or inadequate result

+1

It's normal to have swelling after the procedures you've had, but it is a good sign that you thought things looked good 2 weeks after surgery.  Nonetheless, management of the swelling with compression is helpful, though after 6 weeks, there's little evidence that it impacts the long-term results. It may improve the appearance acutely, so you may chose to wear it for that reason at this point.  It's best to speak with your surgeon, who can tell you how much fat was removed and may be able to give you a better sense of what your final results will be like. 

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Post op of torso liposuction

+1
If you had an excellent result 2 weeks after surgery and now see bulging, this is probably postoperative swelling which will take several months to dissipate. You may need to wear the compression garment. Continue to followup with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Swelling after liposuction and gynecomastia surgery

+1

In regards to your concern, I agree with my colleagues. The fact that you looked good immediately after surgery is indicative that you are in all likelihood experiencing post-operative swelling which will reside in due time. Swelling from lipoplasty can persist as long as 4 to 6 months. Gynecomastia swelling, in some patients, can last even longer. Continue to wear your garment, and especially if you are participating in regular exercise as this can exacerbate the swelling.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Gynecomastia and liposuction of abdomen and love handles: don't see much difference

+1

If you were pleased with the immediate post-operative result it is very likely that you will achieve this result over the long term if oyu maintain your weight. Wait at least 6 months prior to assessing the results.

Gynecomastia correction results final at 4 months.

+1

Hi.

The fact that you looked good right after surgery makes me very optimistic that this is in fact swelling.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction results

+1

If you do not trust your surgeon then find someone who you can trust. preoperatively and post operatively