Swelling Bad After 3 Months of a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I have had the worst experience ever. I had an extended tummy tuck April 26th and after 7 weeks of my drain tube being in the stitch broke and my drain tube came out, so fluid and an infections happened so another surgery was July 3 to clean me out and put another drain tube in, well after 3 weeks drain tube was able to come out but now i look like im 9 mos pregnant. Im uncomfortable and have been given the run around by the surgen all he says is "I don't know or give it time" I need advice bad.

Swelling Bad After 3 Months of a Tummy Tuck?

+2

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you are encountering after your TT.  I cannot quite tell for certain, but it sounds like you have gotten more swelling since the drain was removed. If my inference is correct, it seems most likely that you have had some recurrence of  your fluid correction, and if so, it needs to be drained. 

If need be, an ultrasound exam of the abdominal wall could confirm that diagnosis.

Given the fact that this has already be drained a second time, it may be well to consider having the seroma cavity sclerosed. That involves injecting a substance that will encourage the cavity to collapse on itself and heal and to stop draining. 

In my community I would refer you to an interventional radiologist to insert the drain under ultrasound guidance, using a drain that is more effective that the ones we as surgeons use, and who can do the sclerosis. They will have a variety of agents to choose from, including betadine, tetracycline, mustard (not the eating kind), alcohol. 

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Seroma and swelling

+1

Continue to follow closely with your plastic surgeon. If you are not happy with your care you can always seek a second opinion. Pl relay your concerns to your plastic surgeon so that you may evaluated for a possible seroma.

Raj S. Ambay, MD