I Had Swelling and Soreness in my Breast Ive Had my Implants for Three Years Will I Have to Take Them Out?

I called my doctor and he put me on antibiotics I have been taking them for several days but I'm still have a little swelling in my right breast but they are much smaller and the soreness is much better... Will I have the take my implants out? The meds cedadroxil 500... It's been 3yes since my surgery.

Swelling and potential infection

+2
First, you need a diagnosis before we can propose treatments. If you do have an infection brewing, then the implants should be removed if it does not resolve on its own. Some diagnostic tests may be appropriate.

Implants out? Possibly, but impossible to answer without much more data.

+2

3 years post-op is certainly NOT surgical infection, so unless you had a systemic bacteremia (such as from dental work) that somehow (usually minor or moderate trauma to the affected breast) allowed bacteria to enter the implant space, a "sore and swollen" breast is more likely a mastitis than an infected implant. If the soreness and swelling affected both breasts, implant infection would seem even less likely.

Mastitis is properly treated by antibiotics (Cefadroxil is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic), and careful follow-up with your plastic surgeon is recommended, especially if the antibiotics were started by your personal physician and not your plastic surgeon. Make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon immediately, and keep taking your antibiotics as prescribed (and keep your fingers crossed)! Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Pains 3 years after augmentation

+1

are unusual but not unheard of.  Assuming you do not have an infection, you should be able to keep your implants.  However there are other reasons for massive swelling and these should be considered if your swelling does not resolve.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon if possible and if not, find another surgeon in your area.

Curtis Wong, MD

Swelling three years after breast implants

+1

I think it is important that you have close follow up with your plastic surgeon.  While it sounds like there has been some improvement with oral antibiotics, it is important to determine if there is an infection present and if it is something that is affecting your implants.  If there is infection around the implant, then removal may be necessary.

Naveen Setty, MD

Swelling and pain in breasts 3 yrs later

+1

I think the key is to have a good exam and get a good history to make an informed evaluation.  If you have an infection,  then you may need to remove your implants.

Sweeling and pain 3 years after breast augmentation

+1

It is possible that you have an infection since you had swelling and pain that has decreased since you started using antibiotics. But you need close follow up with your surgeon. If it does not completely resolve you may need to have the implants removed.

Your surgeon will be able to make that call.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast Swelling 3 Years after Breast Implants

+1

Breast swelling 3 years after breast augmentation may indicate infection, and I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon for an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA