Swelling and Open Roof After Rhinoplasty After 9 Months? (photo)

I don't know if this is normal but I am 9 months post rhinoplasty surgery and I see a flat square on the bridge of my nose. I was hoping it would go away but I think it's very noticeable. Also, my nose is still uneven and the tip doesn't look any different than it did before the surgery. Could I still be swollen?

Swelling or Open Roof 9 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

You do have some swelling 9 months after rhinoplasty but a revision will be necessary to correct the flat bridge and nasal asymmetry. Consult with your surgeon and/or a revision specialist; by the time you schedule surgery you will have waited long enough.

Swelling and assymetry

+1

At 9 months swelling can still improve, but if the problem is structural it will not. If the skin is soft and mobile then the issue is likely the structure of the nose. It appears the left and right side of the nose are not structurally the same and this is an issue that will not resolve with time

Jeremy Hunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Swelling may be persistent even nine months after a rhinoplasty.

+1

I can see the issue with the appearance of the nose and nine months but one photograph makes any opinion suspect. The appearance can indeed be explained by swelling.

Open roof etc. 9 months after rhinoplasty.

+1

Open roof etc. 9 months after rhinoplasty and a left valve depression is what it appears u have and will probably not improve. See your surgeon and if not happy see a very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

The tip is still likely swollen, the bridge less so

+1

Because the skin the of the tip and the upper bridge are have different thicknesses, the duration of swelling in those areas are different.  It is likely that the tip is still swollen and will shrink down a bit more over time (particularly given your thicker skin type from what I can tell from the photos). Unfortunately, I do not think that the issue you have on your bridge will go away and in fact it may get a bit worse as the swelling recedes further (but most of the swelling at the bridge is likely gone already).  Irregularities of the bone after reduction of narrowing in that area are not uncommon after rhinoplasty.  I would first ask your surgeon about what can be done.  This is a common problem that is treated in revision rhinoplasty, but it can be challenging depending on the condition and shape of the bone.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Open Roof After Rhinoplasty After 9 Months?

+1

I would give the nose a full year, but your nose probably will not change a great deal.  Preoperative pictures would help determine the degree of improvement and the level of difficulty.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA