Will More Swelling Go Down After over a Year After Rhinoplasty?

I got rhinoplasty 1 yr and 3 months ago. I had a bulbous tip, and had the bone thinned a bit as well. My tip is still swollen, and one side is more swollen then the other. I also have a little black and blue inside my nose (the bone) Will that go away? I'm a little nervous that my tip won't go down anymore since it's already been this long. Please help with these two questions! :(

How long for nasal swelling to improve after nose job

+1

The nasal swelling after a nose job can take up to two years to completely resolve but generally 90% or more resolution is achieved by 6 months.

Swelling 15 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

After 15 months there will be minimal, subtle changes in your nasal swelling. Consult with your original surgeon and/or a revision rhinoplasty specialist to discuss a possible revision procedure.

1 year for swelling to resolve in most cases

+1

In most cases, I would agree that after 15 months the swelling in the nasal tip has essentially resolved. Having said that, there are some cases where I have seen persistent nasal tip swelling continue to improve with some more time--but these have almost all been in revision cases where it was the patient's 2nd or 3rd rhinoplasty. If you haven't already you should convey your concern to your surgeon and discuss potential correction of any significant asymmetry. There are several potential options that exist aside from revision surgery, including the use of fillers or steroid injections--depending on your particular case.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Dr. Yalamanchili

Haresh Yalamanchili, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling from rhinoplasty should resolve within one year

+1

Swelling from rhinoplasty should resolve within one year of surgery.  Any persistant fullness is unlikely to resolve.  Address your concerns with your surgeon.  If you are dissatisfied, seek a second opinion.  I suggest a surgeon who is a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Cosmetic Surgeon or General Plastic Surgeon.  Warmest regards, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfactory Nasal Tip

+1

Regrettably, the vast majority of nose swelling is gone by one year after nose surgery and the healing has been completed. Without a photograph it is hard to guide you as to specific treatment or your nasal tip. Discuss this with your surgeon and if you need more assurance and advice get a second opinion from other surgeons.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

I think it is somewhat difficult to answer your question without knowing precisely what was done to address your bulbous tip. I can tell you that in my practice, I definitely have seen patients continue to 'shrink wrap' down beyond 1 1/2 years after a rhinoplasty. In some cases, I will use a steroid injection to further contour the nasal tip and promote even more shrinkage of the soft tissue around the tip. Of course, there is a chance that your nose has essentially healed and you will not see much more improvement. Make sure to consult with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous Tip One Year after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

At this point, you will not have any improvement of your bulbous tip. All of the healing and swelling is pretty much done. You may want to consider a revision rhinoplasty at this point.

Best.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nearly all swelling from rhinoplasty surgery is gone 1 year after the surgery is performed.

+1

If you're unhappy with the appearance of your tip 15 mos. after rhinoplasty, I don't think it will continue to improve. You could consult your surgeon and another rhinoplasty specialist to see what's best for you. Sometimes a non-surgical rhinoplasty with injectable fillers is helpful for restoring nasal symmetry after rhinoplasty: this will increase the width of your tip, so I'm not sure it will be suitable for you.  I prefer Silikon-1000 for permanent results.

I'm not sure why you see bruising inside your nose at this point.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon