2 weeks after Septoplasty - It looks the same if not worse and i am starting to get worried. Will this swelling go?

4 weeks after I broke my nose I had a procedure done as it was crooked. I was put to sleep and it took about 15-20 minutes. The surgeon said he did not need to make incisions, and that he was able to manipulate it back in place because the bones were still 'spongey' from the break. I had a plaster cast on it for 10 days. It has been 2 weeks now and it still looks quite swollen and still a bit crooked. It looks the same if not worse and i am starting to get worried. Will this swelling go?

Swelling after septoplasty and rhinoplasty

+1

You may have had a fracture of your septum, which is difficult to correct if it is comminuted.  The swelling is within normal limits and may be a sign of just how severe the fracture was. 

Swelling after surgery for nasal fracture

+1

This is a tough one without knowing the details of the surgery.  In general, nasal bones would tend to be pretty "set" at 4 weeks.  It would be unusual to be able to manipulate them without performing osteotomies (bone cuts).  Typically the bones can be manipulated after a fracture for only about 2 weeks, and even then it can be somewhat difficult.  The good news is that if you are not happy with the nose after all the swelling has resolved (give it at least 6-8 weeks), a rhinoplasty with osteotomies could be performed to mobilize and reset the bones back to the midline.  Hang in there!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon