Swelling and Drainage 4 Months After Tummy Tuck

still swelling after 4 months tummy tuck and draining from my scar. Is this normal? What should I do?

Swelling and drainage 4 months after a tummy tuck is not normal

+1

After 4 months, essentially all of the swelling should be gone and the only kind of drainage that wouldn't be a problem would be from some absorbable sutures "spitting" out.  Otherwise, drainage could speak to a greater underlying problem like an infection.  Go back to your doctor for a check asap.

Possible abscess after tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

See your surgeon right away. What you describe is not at all normal after tummy tuck.  You might have an abscess.  I recommend a sonogram to see if you have a collection of blood or fluid.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Prolonged Swelling and Drainage After Tummy Tuck

+1

After 4 months, most of your swelling should be gone, and you really should not have any sort of deep drainage.  Occasionally, an internal suture can start to come to the surface, causing some irritation and a little bit of an open wound/drainage.  Once the suture is gone, the problem goes away.  This is an issue that you should bring up with your surgeon, since any sort of drainage that is persisitent should be investigated.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon